Note to Jeff: befw11s4 hangs cured by cryogenics

In a previous thread, I mentioned that my befw11s4-based outdoor access point was experiencing the well-known hangs during high throughput and that I had used an SNMP power controller driven by monitor scripts to power cycle the box as a solution. I also mentioned that after a prolonged deep freeze (several weeks at minus 20 degrees F or colder), the unit 'healed' and had not experienced further hangs.

Now that the weather is warmer, I can report that it continues to operate without hanging during high throughput. The nature of the 'repair' is however unknown, and speculation is welcome. The unit remained under power during the severe cold period, and connectivity on the LAN port was uninterrupted, however the radio drifted off channel and clients could not connect until the temps rose to above zero degrees F. for some days. One could imagine some trivial dimensional changes at the pcb level, or perhaps something more fundamental involving changes in capacitor chemistry, IC bonding wire integrity, discrete components changed in value or who knows what in the silicon is at work? In any case the results seem to be permanent and decidedly for the better.

Michael

Reply to
msg
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.