Norton Network Detector

For the past two days, I've gotten a Norton New Network Detected window saying To join this network, select the location that has the security settings you want to use. Then it shows a Local IP: number and asks What location do you want to use? Away Home Office Custom Settings. The only option it gives me is OK. The window is sitting there right now.

Meanwhile, I'm already connected wirelessly to my default wireless connection. I'm on cable (Comcast).

1. Why am I being told a new network is detected when I already have one?

1. The Local IP# is different from the one I had or still have (?), and I don't know if I'm supposed to be switching to a new location.

2. If I am supposed to be joining this new network, I guess I should select Home, since this is my home desktop but I don't know for sure.
Reply to
MOB
Loading thread data ...

I use a Linksys router.

Reply to
MOB

Zonealarm used to do this to me, whenever my Pc temporarily lost network connectivity. When it regained it, the dialog appeared - even though my IP addy was identical.

What are the IP addresses involved?

Are you using a router? Have you recently changed routers?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

is NND telling you about a new "wifi" SSID network, or a local IP network where you have a newly acquired DHCP address ?

Reply to
P.Schuman

This morning the window hasn't appeared.

I see in an old document Gateway IP address 192.xxxxxxx

The address in the New Network Detected window was 169.xxxxxxxx

Yes, I use a Linksys wireless router, and I havenot recently changed it.

Two things that happened concurrent with this are

1) unable to open the new Comcast webpage (widespread problem)--now resolved; and 2) in trying to fix that problem, I fiddled with a security setting, sliding the hand up and down on the scale; I'm not sure how I left it--Medium where it was before, I think.
Reply to
MOB

I've looked up SSID and that appears to involve a 32-character number, whereas the one here is 9 characters. I've also looked up DHCP and that's apparently what this is about. Here's my confusion:

Researching New Network Detector before I asked for help here, I came across two old conflicting forum messages; one said go ahead and join the new network; the other said turn off your computer; then install ZoneAlarm--you've been hacked.

1. where do I find the information about my SSID and DHCP addresses?
  2. should my default DHCP address always be my *only* DHCP address as long as my desktop computer is here in the same place?
  3. what would cause me to have a newly acquired DHCP address?
Reply to
MOB

Thats a nonroutable dummy address that windows uses whenever it can't get a real address from your router. With such an addess, you can't get on the internet.

Sounds like you have a network connection problem, either bad wireless reception or a bad cable somewhere between you and the router.

If you're entirely wireless, did you just buy a new phone / microwave / TV / DVD recorder / remote controlled doodad? Any of these can hose your 2.4Ghz transmission bands.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

The SSID is defined in the router config. Probably yours is a default value like "LINKSYS" DHCP is a protocol, not an address. DHCP is the method by which your computer gets an IP address.

If you're using a router, your IP address is very very unlikely ever to change.

No network connection to the router.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

MOB - ?? do I know you - Michele ??

"MOB"

Reply to
P.Schuman

No, I'm not Michele. : )

Reply to
MOB

The message did not appear on the 30th or 31st.

Before I became wireless, my desktop and laptop were home networked; a tech person set it up for me when I got my laptop 18 months ago. When I switched to wireless 6 months later, they were no longer networked. I didn't think I could reconfigure them by myself, so I left them not- networked. I wonder if this confuses the computer.

My desktop also has an ethernet cable. Everything seems to be working okay now. It could have all been due to problems with the new Comcast home page; I'm using a new URL to get there now, so that's working, too.

Reply to
MOB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.