Noob questions

Hello, don't know much about wireless yet, so can someone please tell me if these are possible:

1) I want to connect a (normally) *wired* IP ethernet camera to a wired router about 80m away clear line of sight. Is there a pair of wireless dongly things I can plug into the lan sockets of both to take the place of the lan cable?

2) Similar setup, but connecting a bog standard normally wired USB webcam wirelessly to a computer. Again, the wireless link serving the same function as a USB cable.

I know one can buy wireless cameras and routers, but I just want to replace the cables with wireless dongles type things that plug into the back of the original wired gadgets instead of the cable. Suggestions please?

Reply to
markzoom
Loading thread data ...

On 8 May 2007 01:51:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@digiverse.net wrote in :

Sure. You want a point-to-point bridge. Cable a wireless access point to the wired router; cable a wireless Ethernet (client) bridge to the camera; and setup the wireless connection.

Not AFAIK. You'd need a wireless Ethernet (client) bridge with a USB port and a webcam driver, which I don't think exists.

Other alternatives:

• Powerline networking
  • Phoneline networking
  • Coax networking

See wikis below for more info.

Reply to
John Navas

Many thanks! Checking it out.

Reply to
markzoom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.