Noob: Odd request?

Hi All

I need something to boost my ~9% signal to something more stable to ensure I get access to the LAN.

The LAN setup is very odd. Site is outdoors (wi-fi between houses, with frequent strong sunshine - just mentioning this in case there's any atmospheric reason for what we're experiencing) and there's no ability to change any of the existing hardware elsewhere on the network (not within our domain of control).

We connect through our 802.11g equipment (I understand there's a 150 foot working radius in this protocol and we're on about the 135 foot mark, so that kind of makes sense that we've only got 9%).

Can I get some kind of omni-directional high gain antenna (omni-directional needed maybe because our house is at the top of a hill with the closest neighbour's aerial about 10-30 degrees below us (I have to guess the drop, but its rather steep)).

Does anyone know of any product suitable to amplify / boost our access to hopefully more like 25-50% because we can't physically get any nearer from our property and it seems rather rude to have to ask the neighbour to update their equipment to get our access to the network?

Thanks for any good advice.

Reply to
<nospam
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:56:13 -0000, wrote in :

Either an omni or a directional can be aimed to maximize pickup at whatever angle you need. An omni is only needed if you want to connect to different radios in different horizontal directions. Otherwise a directional antenna is recommended: higher gain and reduced interference. You may also be able to use a reflector with your existing antenna .

If not a reflector, the I would suggest a simple directional antenna. For example, the Hawking HAI8DD gives about 6 dBi improvement over a standard "rubber duck" antenna, for a range improvement of about 3x.

Reply to
John Navas

(omni-directional

Try replacing the omni with a directional antenna, that will give a bit more of gain. Since it looks like you want to go in a certain direction (towards the neighbors house) a directional will work. And sine you state that the neighbor is lower, try a little downtilt on the antenna, instead of having the antenna going out towards the horizon.

Reply to
Dana

Thanks all for the useful responses, I'll give them all a try.

Cheers!

Reply to
<nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.