Non-working Taskbar Network Icon

My wireless network card (Linksys G w/speedboost) connects/works fine for internet surfing but the taskbar wireless network icon with the radio waves on it has the red X for no connection. WIN XP- SP2, Linksys G speedboost router, Windows network controller. I've uninstalled/reinstalled card and driver but no joy.

How to fix?

S1

Reply to
Savvy 1
Loading thread data ...

"Savvy 1" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You could use the Network Connection Icon on XP if you go to the LAN Connection screen and right-click the connection Icon/Properties and select *show connection icon in notification area. The icon, two monitors next to the clock on the desktop, will show and then you mouse over it and will tell you about the wireless card like signal strength etc.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That's not the problem. The icon is there-- it's just red X'ed out meaning it's disabled,

But the network is enabled and working fine-- connects to the internet, etc.

S1

Reply to
Savvy 1

Yup, on my other two wirelessly connected computers, that's just what they do.

But with this one problem puppy, the icon works properly for one or two boot cycles after an uninstall/reinstall-- then the red X appears through it though the internet connection is perfect.

S1

Reply to
Savvy 1

"Savvy 1" wrote in news:AvGdnTq3f snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Well if the Icon doesn't work what good is it? The one on XP does work and you can install the card's driver and configure the card through XP's Device Manager and not install the card's utility that the icon doesn't work to config the card. You can possibly go the other way and forget about it.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Martin²" wrote in news:433f23cb$0$15067$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

That's a know problem with the NT based O/S as the icons in the job trey are a hit or miss situation at boot and login as too them showing or not showing. I don't know what the problem is there. But MS should fix that. Sometimes, the MS SQL Server Icon will not show at times, along with others in the job trey on my machines. Someone posted to me about some utility 3rd party solution that helps with the problem. I didn't install in try it. You may be able to find something using Google.

Most of the time they all show, sometimes some of the show, and there have been times when only one icon showed. The best I can tell you is re- boot or find a job trey utility and see if that helps. :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I have similar (slight) problem. I should have two icons, the wifi connection and speakers. Everytime the laptop (Dell 8200 XP S2) is (re-) started you get different combination of none, one, or both icons. The wifi IS always connected. Setting them from the start menu doesn't make any difference, but they can be brought up via the network connection or sound setup screens. Weird. Any ideas will be appreciated. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Duane, thanks for your post. This only happens on my Dell 8200 laptop, my two other XP desktops work fine, maybe because they have later version on XP (although all three are updated to SP2). I will look into the tray utilities. Thanks, regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.