Non-IP broadcast Cisco Aironet 1200 problem

Hello,

I'm having a problem with relaying broadcast non-IP traffic through the Cisco Aironet 1200 access point.

The access point uses the default configuration. There is only SSID defined and no security settings. Additionally the IP address of the AP point has been changed.

From the host connected to the wired port of the AP I can ping the AP and associated clients. From the client I can successfully ping AP and the host connected to the wired interface of the AP. So the ARP broadcast goes through. I'm sending different packets to the AP through its wired interface. Any type of the unicast packet (IP and non-IP) destined (at the Ethernet level) to the connected client go through the AP. I'm having a problem with broadcast packets. The only packets, which get to the client, are IP and ARP broadcasts (interesting thing is that incorrect ARP headers do not go through). So I cannot send any broadcast packets not having Ethertype set to

0x0800 or 0x0806. My WLAN clients use some proprietary protocols to communicate with hosts in the wired network and some of packets are broadcasted.

Additionally DHCP requests and broadcast DHCP replies do not go through.

The Aironet 1200 allows defining some filters. In my case this service is disabled, but I could not find any information if there are some default filters set. Any way using http interface I cannot define the filter to forward all the broadcast packets - GUI does not allowed to add broadcast address - 0xffffffffffff with 48 bits mask.

When I send these non-IP broadcast packets to the wired interface of the AP - the broadcast counters on the wired interface of the AP do not get incremented. If the IP broadcast packet is sent, the counter is incremented.

Could anybody give me some advices?

Thanks in advance, Kamila

Reply to
Kamila
Loading thread data ...

What software do you have running in your AP1200? We had a problem like this in IOS 12.3(2)JA; I would recommend running either 12.2(15)XR2 or 12.3(2)JA2.

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.