Nokia D211 & Netgear DG834G - Won't Connect

Can't get the D211 to connect to this wireless router at all. Can't pick up an IP address - this problem in both 'ad hoc' and 'infrastructure' mode.

Router works fine with a Netgear WG511 Wireless LAN card, so I guess the porblem lies with the Nokia D211. Nokia support is hopeless.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

................................................................. Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

formatting link

Reply to
Jim Muir
Loading thread data ...

Well, no replies - so I'll answer this one myself (with absolutely NO help whatsoever from Nokia UK). It's taken me ALL day to suss this one out.

The device is now working. Here are my settings on the Netgear DG834G Wireless Router (The following applies to WIN XP SP2 for UK users):

NAME (SSID): NETGEAR REGION: Europe CHANNEL: 11 MODE: b only

The 'mode' appears to be the most important change I made. Seems Nokia D211 WILL NOT work if 'b and g' is selected here (D211 being a 'b' device only). The 'b & g' parameter must confuse it somewhat. So - select 'b only' in this combo box.

1. Enable Wireless Access Point
  2. Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

Now, on the 'Setup Access List' ADD the NOKIA card, as well as its MAC address. Then it should appear under 'Trusted Wireless Stations. ALSO

- check the box marked 'Turn Access Control On'. (Please note: if you check this box and there are NO trusted stations listed, then NOTHING will be able to connect to the DG834G router).

You can get the MAC address of the Nokia D211 by either:

1. looking on the back of the card (with a magnifying glass) OR
  2. with the card in the PC opening a command prompt (START/RUN/CMD) and typing (without the arrows). At once all your network connections and details should appear.

Furthermore, I DON'T think it is a good idea to have a wired network cable plugged into your PC when trying to configure the Nokia D211. This might have been part of my problem earlier. The computer was getting confused between the two network connections. Perhaps obvious to experts, but it's the kind of fool thing novices like me tend to do when cross and pressed for time.

I hope this helps somebody from having all the bother I've had today. Because, to be honest, there were several occasions when I was on the point of flushing this Nokia D211 thing down the gurgle.

Yet, success apart, Mr Nokia IS STILL NOT forgiven for the appalling level of support he provides for this product. So if you buy a Nokia D211 and get a different problem from that listed above - based on my experience today, you'll get pretty cold comfort from Nokia UK. It looks very much as if, once Mr Nokia's gets your hard-earned cash, he just doesn't want to know - unless, of course, you pay him MORE cash, for premium-rate support, charged to your phone account at 75 pence per minute. (That WILL be right Mr Nokia!! Not on your Nelly mate).

As for Nokia's method of telephone contact...? I won't even amplify how bad I think it is. That awful menu system that keeps taking round and round in circles getting you nowhere. The few 'real' staff I spoke to (briefly) were rather cheeky too.

So, what kind of way is that to treat customers? You tell me.

The sooner Netgear starts making GSM/GPRS equipment and integrating it with their easy-to-setup-and-use range of networking products - the better it'll be for everybody!

Jim

................................................................. Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

formatting link

Reply to
Jim Muir

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.