No one answered my question?

I can get connected and have a 192... IP address using IPconfig/all but I can't ping anything therefore I'm not "really" connected. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G Router and Gigabyte desktop wlan pci lan cards in the workstation. It sees the SSID fine and gets a 24 to 36mbps connection but doesn't connect to the Internet nor can I ping anything. What am I missing? I'm sure it's something I missed as I'm just getting started with wireless connectivity. Any help from you Gurus would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
mcguirem3m
Loading thread data ...

Not being familiar with using the Newsgroup, I meant to refer back to the question theme on 3/23 on "Connected but not really" I didn't see any conclusions there only what MS should do to change it to "Ready" instead of just connected.

Reply to
mcguirem3m

"mcguirem3m" wrote in news:tRdPh.12308$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

What are you trying to ping ? How are you configuring the access point ?

Reply to
DanS

I went through the 'setup' that comes with Linksys and entered the data it ask for regarding SSID , the Login ID/PW for the DSL and then the Passphrase. That's all that it ask me to do. I can access the internet on the machine that is directly connected to the router with an ethernet cable but not through the workstation downstairs that has a Gigabyte Turbo 802.11 g/b wireless lan card. It detects the router just fine with the right SSID and ask for the passphrase and I carefully enter that and it gets connected at 24 to 36 mbps. But I try to ping "anything" Amazon, an address and if I type it in wrong it says I have the wrong name but with an IP address it comes back as with all tries and returns 4 tries with no returns after 4 attempts. Does that help?

Reply to
mcguirem3m

Reply to
mcguirem3m

Sorry to be late in the process. You still haven't outlined ALL the hardware involved and how it is set up. For instance I got the impression that you have two descktop computers one with a wire connection to the router and one with a wireless connection to the router. Can you ping the router intself with the wireless connection and can you ping the router with the computer that is connected with the wire? If you are still having difficulties, RESET the box and start from there with no security etc...

later, charles.....

Reply to
***** charles

Just make sure your Gateway is set to your routers IP (probably 192.168.1.1) and that you have DNS and secondary DNS IP set up (usually your ISP's DNS, but any will do). Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

"mcguirem3m" wrote in news:JffPh.12378$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Yes, I should have been a little more detailed.

1. You are trying to ping an internet address.

and 2. Can you access the rtr configuration over the wireless ?

If you can access the rtr page on the wireless, it may be a DNS issue. If #2 is true, then you should be able to ping the rtr and anything else connected to the network.

At that point, first thing to look at is a proper DNS setting in the wireless PC. Try pinging 24.48.33.2, a direct internet address, which doesn't rely on DNS.

ALL communications is done withe the IP address. When you type in yahoo.com, your PC contacts the DNS server listed to ask for an IP address of yahoo.com. It sends the address back to your PC, and then your PC goes on and contact yahoo via its IP address. Pinging 24.48.33.2 take DNS out of the loop. If that goes thru, probably DNS issue. This is in the TCP/IP configuration of the PC.

Martin mentioned that it is usually set to the rtr IP, but if that fails, the 24.48.33.2 address is a DNS server you can try out. I have seen rtr's that didn't forward DNS properly.

Reply to
DanS

What kind of "modem" (brand/model) do you have? Does your ISP require PPPoE or can it establish a "regular" ethernet connection? PPPoE is older technology. Your router may not default to that configuration. Remember the recommendation to RESET the router. Find the little button and turn on the router and push it in and hold it in for about 20 to 30 seconds. Then you may have to go through the configuration menu in the router to turn on the PPPoE capability. With consumer dsl accounts the ISP assumes that you will be connecting ONE computer to THEIR network. The router can mimic that kind of connection so from the ISP's side, it still thinks that there is one computer connected to their network. Don't forget to change the administrator password, very important. Otherwise someone else can get into your router after you get an Internet connection and reprogram your router. Anyway, a call to Linksys wouldn't hurt. Bellsouth may require you to connect their modem to one of your Windows machines to establish the link initially. Then after that works you can change your configuration (add router, etc...) as much as you want. "In the old days" the ISP's wouldn't help the user out with anything but the standard install computer => their modem => their network. Now they are getting a little more flexible knowing that their customers are getting more savvy. The tech guy at my ISP, AT&T/Yahoo, talk my through my first dsl install and I had an older WRT54G Ver 2.0. Now after helping dozens of others locally set up their dsl links, I can practically do it in my sleep, Windows, OS X, Linux, BSD no sweat.

later, charles.....

Reply to
***** charles

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I didn't feel your suggestions were going in the right direction since this was a new set up. So I searched the Linksys web site which had a ton of info about everything you can think of. My conclusion was that maybe there was a firmware upgrade since this version came out in 2006.

In chating with a Linksys support person for one and one-half hours checking everything possible, she finally showed me the latest firmware. I downloaded it and installed it and bingo! Everything started working. My wireless connections run beautifully.

I have learned a lot from all of the threads in this News group and appreciate the willingness of you guys to offer your support in the best way you know how to total strangers. That's got to say something for your character. Thanks again and I'm now a fan of this group. Who knows, maybe I can help someone following your example.

Later Morris

Reply to
mcguirem3m

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.