no. of people accessing

By reading the manual, and finding out how to get to its Status page.

This is stuff on your PC, forget about that, you need to be looking on the router.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
Loading thread data ...

It probably means you ran "netstat" on your PC...

netstat is only useful if you can telnet or ssh into the router.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

after trying a lot, i finally have signal reaching my laptop from the router through a cable. but still when i try to connect with my belkin wi fi card i don't get the signal or maybe the laptop doesn't accept the signal; coz i can see that the card icon on the system tray says the connection is excellent. but when i open the browser there is no signal. so i used the ping command. here is what i get: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\Roohbir Singh>cd\\

C:\\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

C:\\>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

this i get when i try the wifi network card. although now that i've connected with a wire, the signal is perfect. can anybody fathom the reason?

thanks in advance.

roohbir

Rich wrote:

Reply to
roohbir

Reply to
roohbir

What, and stand by watching your pompous ass give people useless answers? No.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On 27 Aug 2006 12:04:05 -0700, "roohbir" wrote in :

How do you know?

That's a bad sign that suggests either (a) the cable modem isn't connected to the Internet, or (b) you screwed up something in your computer (since the router isn't involved).

I suspect the cable modem. Are the lights normal, or it hunting for signal?

Even with a cabled connection?

Just undo whatever you've done. What did you do?

Reply to
John Navas

Did you read the manual?!

On 27 Aug 2006 14:17:37 -0700, "roohbir" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:10:22 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

On the contrary -- NETSTAT will display foreign connections to your computer, which is quite useful.

Reply to
John Navas

On 27 Aug 2006 16:11:44 -0700, "roohbir" wrote in :

That's NOT "no signal" -- that's "no connection". BIG difference. If you trick us with bad information like that, then we won't be able to help you. ;)

This is IPCONFIG, not PING -- checking to see if we'll notice? ;)

That's working!

The router may not be configured to respond to ping packets.

Is DHCP working? Since you withheld that information from us, we have no way of knowing. ;) If it is working, then something else must be misconfigured.

Reply to
John Navas

thanks for the reply john. and sorry for playing tricks with u guys!!! ;-) actually now everything is working. i just turned everything off and then waited for a while before turning it on. i am gonna try doing the WPA thing and let ya know what happens. thanks for helping me. much appreciated.

roohbir

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
roohbir

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.