no. of people accessing

can i somehow get the info on my computer how many people are accessing my connection at any point. for example a list of computers logged in. thanks

Reply to
roohbir
Loading thread data ...

Sure, two ways. If your router is running DHCP then you can check the number of leases it's offered. This isn't guaranteed to be accurate as someone could always use a static address. The other is to connect to a shell session (either telnet or ssh) to the router itself and use the command line "arp -a". This will show you a list of all addresses the router is currently speaking with. Not all routers have a command line you can connect with, nor do they all let you get to the arp table. YMMV.

Those are you two most likely ways to check who's using your router.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On 25 Aug 2006 15:06:25 -0700, "roohbir" wrote in :

Better to just use WPA with a strong passphrase and not have to worry about it.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
roohbir

Gee, how's that for a uselessly patronizing answer? The man asked a question, not expecting to be told not worry about it. Sure, using WPA is great but there are any number of reasons someone might not choose to make use of it. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact he might want to know a little more about what's going on. Help, don't patronize (or worse yet point them to a useless generic wiki page...)

Reply to
Bill Kearney

What router are you using ? To see the connections to your actual computer, open up a command prompt.. Click start.. then run.. type CMD (assuming windows xp) and press enter.

In the "dos box" type netstat -a or netstat -b (to see what programmes are making the connections)

Routers are wide and varied in how you can gain that information.

Reply to
Doz

Reply to
Joan Archer

"roohbir" hath wroth:

Yep. However it varies with the make and model of your wireless router. Some possibles:

Airsnare:

formatting link
PRTG. Free for up to 3 OID's:
formatting link
Linksys Logging:
formatting link
WallWatcher:
formatting link
etc... Search for "Traffic Monitor Software". Some of them include the number (and nature) of connections.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
roohbir

You have to set it on the router first, then set it up on your computer with the same (strong) passphrase.

On 26 Aug 2006 00:37:42 -0700, "roohbir" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 04:00:35 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

Gee, how's that for a uselessly nasty comment?

Kindly mind your own business.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
roohbir

Reply to
roohbir

That tells you only about connections to your computer, not connections to your wireless network.

On 26 Aug 2006 22:32:14 -0700, "roohbir" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

You need to read the documentation for your router.

On 26 Aug 2006 22:19:09 -0700, "roohbir" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

You should have got documentation with the router, this will tell you, usually you have to type in an address into your web browser which will log you onto the configuration pages for the router you have. Joan

roohbir wrote:

Reply to
Joan Archer

i am in big trouble. i was trying the WPA encryption and i don't know what i did or what options i chose, i have completely lost all signal from the router. even when i try to connect to my cable modem with a wire, i receive only 'limited connectivity'. WLAN light on the router doesn't show so i guess the problem is with the router. i tried resetting it but i couldn't see any change. i tried the configuration pages of the router but i can't access them. is there any way i can go back in time? need help desperatley coz my work is dependent on my laptop. thanks in advance

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
roohbir

Do you have a factory reset button on your router (I'm not talking about a power reset)? If so, press it and everything will reset to factory defaults unless the router is broken. Then, the manual for your router should tell you what you should set up in your laptop to communicate with the router. Then you can begin reconfiguring the router accordingly.

I hate to be blunt but if this lapt> i am in big trouble. i was trying the WPA encryption and i don't know what

Reply to
johnny

Reply to
roohbir

after making changes in the router's configuration you need to re-boot it or if there is no option to do that simply unplug it from power for

30-seconds and you should be good to go.

73, rich, n9dko

Reply to
Rich

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.