No DNS lookups ny apps - but nslookup ok

I just split my issue from the old "Connecting but no internet! " thread.

Jeff Leiberman

"A temporary fix would be to setup this client machine with the DNS server pointing to your ISP's DNS servers, instead of pointing to the router. XP will allow you to keep using DHCP for the IP address and gateway, while using a static IP address for the DNS server(s). "

The machine is already pointing to the ISP's DNS. That's what shows up if I do an ipconfig /all. I already tried putting it in manually (the only recommendation given by Linksys).

I did NOT try putting it in manually and turning off the Windows XP DNS cache client. I wonder if that could help? (It's on someone else's computer, about 45 min away, so I can't just try it on a whim...).

"I've seen this problem about 4 times and have yet to have a guaranteed

fix." Arghhh...

"I fixed one of these with a rather long and tedious solution. I booted from the XP CDROM and used the "repair" option in the installation setup...I won't do that again."

Agree with that statement, I'm in the middle of doing one of those on someone elses computer...

"Use the CD used to install your system or you WILL make a mess.... Be careful with this one as there are bugs, problems, and it's a bit of a heavy hammer for a simple problem. "

It's a Dell, which comes with the CD... but who knows if it's exactly the same version as preloaded.... I would only hope... but I don't plan on spending days refixing this...

"Another possibility is to dig throught the Windows File Protection directory at: c:\\winnt\\system32\\dllcache\\ and see if you can find anything that looks like the DNS binary. "

On my XP Pro, a dir *dns* in that directory comes up with nothing...

"Next time, start a new thread."

I just did... :-)

Reply to
danr_18
Loading thread data ...

I found this posting from August 2004, which looks promising:

=== From: Veronica - view profile Date: Tues, Aug 24 2004 5:52 pm Email: Veronica Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

Hi all Through a lot of persistance, I have solved this. What happens is that windoze looses it's DNS info. I suspect in my case

it was a update or adware removal, but who knows. With regedit, you will have to manually add a few things. No end of reinstalls, running of winsockfix etc will do this for you. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip/Parameters You must have Domain REG_SZ Hostname REG_SZ NameServer REG_SZ NV Domain REG_SZ NV Hostname REG_SZ SearchList REG_SZ You should also have akey named DNSRegisteredAdapters which was completely missing on mine. Under this is a class ID of the curerntly active interface Then the entries are DNSServerAddressCount REG_DWORD DNSServerAddresses REG_BINARY

DomainName REG_SZ HostName REG_SZ PrimaryDomainName REG_SZ I hope this helps anyone that struggle with this. It has taken me about

10 hours to solve this problem.
Reply to
danr_18

On my 'working' machine, I don't have these -- maybe it's just for entering static DNS servers?

DNSServerAddressCount REG_DWORD DNSServerAddresses REG_BINARY

Reply to
danr_18

formatting link

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Thanks. This link just brings me to microsoft.public.windows.server.dns

- was there a specific message you wanted to po> danr snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
danr_18

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.