No Connection Until WLAN Utility is Run

I just installed an Airlink wireless card in an old Win 98se laptop. When the laptop starts, there is no connection to the router (Linksys WRT54G). I have no Internet access and the laptop cannot see the other two PCs on the network. However, if I run the WLAN utility program that came with the card, after a couple of seconds the connection is established and everything works fine until the next reboot. Running the utility should not be needed before getting a connection, right?

Reply to
undaunted1
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

You probably do need the utility, since 98 doesn't have any builtin support for wireless, or indeed much support for networking in general.

98's networking is terribly flaky. I used to find it occasionally took several mins to get a WIRED connection.....
Reply to
Mark McIntyre

fwiw I have winME laptop and compex g card instantly connected at start up. Tray applet for the connection utility is in regedit with start command after it. regedit Run "CPXBGSTA.EXE START"

Reply to
bumtracks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.