No connection on 2nd PC white 1st PC is off

Hello everyone. My friend have a proble. He has wireless router. 1st computer is connected thru cable, and the second one wireless. While the 1st one is turned off, the second one can't access router. I didn't see this by myself yet. It just what he described me. I going to check on it on Tuesday. If you have any suggestions what can it be, please give me some advises.

Filip

Reply to
Filip
Loading thread data ...

If the "wireless" PC is connecting through a router, post the make and model of the router. John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

My friend yesterday told me this is Linksys BEFSR41. This is no wireless router, so he's got (like he said) wireless connection, so it has to be Bridge connection (now his problem is obvious). I'm gonna se it tonight.

Filip

Reply to
Filip

Or he's connecting to someone else's network :) John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

After he descriped me problem by phone it looked like that. I was there on Tuesday, and the situation is very different. He's got Verizon DSL (on my experience - the worst ISP in USA). He already changed his Westel 6100 DSL modem a month ago. This one is working, but sometimes loosing connection. When I connected it straight to PC, after 10-15 minutes it finally get connected to internet. When it is connected to Router (linksys BEFSR41 ver 3.4) to connect to internet is getting almost half an hour. I think router is configured right (IP 192.168.2.1). I called Verizon twice. What was their answer? If you want to have network with Verizon DSL, you should buy from them DSL modem/wireless router fixture. Two representatives told me, if I have two fixtures with different names (Westel / Linksys) it's not gonna work. What a bulshit. This guy's DSL service ends in March 2008. I told him - get yourselfe Cable.

Filip

Reply to
Filip

Actually, it's probably not as desperate as you make it sound. But it's certainly not the sort of trivial pursuit you seem to imply.

It's pretty important to have some understanding of IP and how it works to find meaningful facts, troubleshoot things, and make judgments. IMHO

On understanding IP, if you can partition the problem, you have a chance; if not, it's all smoke visible here.

John

Filip wrote:

Reply to
John Barry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.