NEWS: Verizon begins offering 25MB and unlimited pre-paid data plans

VoIP over 3G is pointless at best! Have you ever checked the latency of ANY connection? It is still in the dial-up modem days in that respect.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Loading thread data ...

Have you ever actually tried it? I find it actually works pretty well.

Reply to
John Navas

No. I have VoIP on my cable connection (~25ms latency with very little jitter) and it is flawless, but it wasn't always so until Comcast fixed things. If VoIP was sensitive to broadband cable issues that are minor compared to what is normal on 3G, then I wouldn't use it.

Skype on the Verizon phones uses the voice network to avoid the problem and then, as I understand it, puts it into IP and onto the Internet (or directly to Skype servers?) and thus avoids pushing it via IP over 3G.

If you are having good luck with VoIP over 3G data (Voice over IP over 3G data), then you are rare indeed judging by the comments that I have read in many forums. I believe it is or used to be against the AUP for all the major providers until Skype on Verizon became available.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.