NEWS: Verizon and AT&T May Both Get Apple Tablet

it's his standard response when he's cornered.

Reply to
nospam
Loading thread data ...

emergencies happen more often in neighborhoods than they do out in the middle of nowhere where a sat phone would be the only option.

mine are. maybe you need a better one.

stop using t-mobile :)

my cellphone works everywhere i travel.

Reply to
nospam

already happened. i don't remember where but i think it is sweden. it was reported about a month or so ago.

Reply to
nospam

David, you always did have trouble with reality.

In 1960 San Francisco had a population of 740,316, virtually unchanged from today.

You have to go back to 1920 to get the population you are dreaming about. In 1920 San Francisco had a population of 506,676.

All of this from:

formatting link
Perhaps you should be the one strap your suitcase to Higdon's car.

Jonz

Reply to
Jonz

I can help. Frequency matters somewhat for indoor penetration, but no one quite knows how. If you look at, say, this paper

formatting link
you'll find this

Some residential radio penetration studies at 912MHz, 1920MHz and 5990MHz have shown that penetration loss increases as the frequency increases [21]. In contrast to this it has been also reported that penetration loss decreases with increasing frequency. These measurements were contacted at 35MHz and 150MHz [24], 441MHz, 900MHz and 1400MHz [14][25] 880MHz and 1922MHz [13], 900MHz, 1800MHz and 2300MHz [18].

That is, some studies find that penetration loss increases with increasing frequency (i.e. lower is better) while even more studies find that penetration loss decreases with increasing frequency (i.e. higher is better). The older textbooks I have all take the latter view (i.e. higher frequencies penetrate better), though newer textbooks tend to equivocate. In either case, however, the penetration losses at 850 and 1900 MHz aren't real different, and the simple models tend to assume that frequency doesn't matter.

While this seems to surprise people it really shouldn't. There are always two possible reasons why one phone loses signal inside and another doesn't: the building penetration losses could be different, or the building penetration losses could be the same but the signal levels outside the building, before the losses, are different. I think the latter is the more usual reason.

It is the case, however, that outdoor propagation is effected by frequency, which I think the first assertion above was also denying. If outdoor propagation were independent of frequency like indoor propagation is assumed to be then, like indoor propagation models, there would be no frequency-dependent terms in outdoor propagation models, e.g. Hata and COST Hata here

formatting link
formatting link
but there clearly are. The fact that one PowerPoint presentation neglected to mention this doesn't mean the dependencies don't exist.

Dennis Ferguson

Reply to
Dennis Ferguson

They've had Internet for at least 6 years, but the cell service is a new thing. Does this mean that some enterprising cell company brings in portable cell sites? Otherwise I couldn't think of how else they'd do it. It's way too far to get a signal in and out of Gerlach or Empire I'd think.

Reply to
David Kaye

Regardless, the signal is getting in and out from my little phone just fine. I'd expect that a cell site could do much better in a wooden box with fewer obstructions, no?

Reply to
David Kaye

I still haven't figured out why you have such an objection to cell towers. To me, they aren't nearly as objectionable as the golden arches of McDonald's, for example. In fact, I'd take a standard tower with panel antennas over a fake tree any day. Did you have a bad experience with a cell tower at some point?

Reply to
Char Jackson

We prohibit those (the big ones) too.

All the time -- butt ugly.

Reply to
John Navas

Nope. Try again.

Reply to
John Navas

If you and David dislike the occasional cell tower, standard telephone poles must really drive you nuts. Not only are there a lot more of them, (where utilities aren't buried, of course), but they aren't up as high as cell towers and they're all connected by unsightly wires. Seems like you'd complain about those long before focusing on cell towers.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Actually, he had it exactly right.

Reply to
Char Jackson

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's not really fair because I live in the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo in 1989, but every ham here has multiple generators. I have a Honda EU1000i suitcase portable, a Honda EU3000is 3KW mounted on my service van, also a comm van in emergencies and a Chinese 6.5KW diesel genset to power my home off used cooking oil which I have thousands of gallons of in storage.

All the hams here are similarly powered....

The ham radio clubs have extensive communications vans and ham radio stations setup in every emergency shelter, usually in schools, across the counties. In addition, we have 5 networked VHF/UHF repeater systems located at hurricane-proof county communications sites all with extensive backup power on massive 800mph communications towers also used by cops/fire/services. The hospitals are all on a secondary ham radio VHF/UHV network powered by hospital emergency power systems. That separate network give them comms when all the phones go down and county emergency radio trunk networks are jammed.

Then, there's SCHeart:

formatting link
powered microwave relay stations across SC operated by the state are used to interconnect yet another huge ham radio relay system associated with ARES, the Amateur Radio Emergency Service. On Heart, you can use a 1/2 watt VHF walkie talkie connected to one of its many repeater systems and talk from Charleston to Greenville as simply as talking across a mall on a Family Radio UHF set. Heart is explained on the website.

Our extensive radio system plan and communications networks are explained on a pdf file here:

formatting link
WX4CHS, the ham radio station callsign of the Charleston office of the National Weather Bureau, is also connected to these systems and to an independent HF SSB radio network connecting our weather bureau office to its remote substation offices in Savannah, Georgetown, Myrtle Beach, Brunswick GA and to every other National Weather Service office across the entire country. NWS is adamant about its support of ham radio services to the system. "Skywarn" is also a ham radio network of cooperating ham radio stations across America giving the weather service and its public broadcast functions thousands of eyes to warn of impending immediate weather threats such as tornadoes, floods, etc. I'm a Skywarn trained observer, myself.....
formatting link
So, if you think ham radio is just a bunch of super CBers, a throwback before the internet, you're wrong. Thousands of ham radio repeater systems are all interconnected across the planet by internet links for licensed ham radio stations to use, as a hobby and in time of international disaster. Ask the Haitians! Without ham radio, Haiti was completely alone after the recent earthquake and before with hurricanes.

The systems are efficient, rigidly controlled by control operators and very good at what we do.

Reply to
Larry

While there are ham repeaters covering BRC, the primary communication system on the playa is a UHF LTR trunked system, with some conventional UHF and VHF channels, as well as VHF-AM for the airstrip. The system supports all of the official BM services, and provides mutual aid links to cooperating agencies. I recall the number that I heard was about 60 talkgroups defined for various functions, and the activity level was similar to SF or Oakland on a busy night. I forget how many radios are issued, but i seem to recall it was >500.

One of the channels supported is MURS (I think they use channel 3. 154.570), which is used as a form of 911 channel from participants to the dispatch center. I haven't looked recently, but IIRC, there were about 20 UHF pairs licensed, of which ~10 are used for the LTR system.

BM takes their comms seriously, and the comm systems are planned and prepped well in advance of the event. There are some permanent comms in place in Gerlach, but the primary system goes online early in the build process, and is one of the later things removed.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Thanks for your service, Larry.

Reply to
News

More evidence has surfaced that Apple's beleaguered Judas Phone does, indeed, have serious reception challenges ? and today's facts and figures come from a sophisticated source.

"Tests ... have indicated that Apple's iPhone4 does indeed suffer from connectivity problems compared to other smartphones," begins a report by the PA Consulting Group, a global management, IT, and technology consulting firm headquartered in London.

PA ran the Judas Phone through a comprehensive battery of tests, both on Vodafone's network and on a test network in an anechoic chamber not unlike those used by Apple (video) in its product testing, as trumpeted by Steve Jobs during his "There is no Antennagate" presentation on July

1. PA's testing was conducted at its corporate Technology Centre, "deep in the Cambridge countryside", as described in an admittedly somewhat silly video that the company produced to give an overview of its testing and that testing's results:

The iPhone 4 was tested in various orientations, being held in different grips, and with and without a rubber bumper that Apple now offers to any Judas Phoner who wants one. PA's test bumper, however, was a thick rubber band, since Apple's branded bumper, they note, is not yet available in the UK. By way of comparison, the same tests were performed on a Blackberry Bold 9700 and HTC HD2.

PA's dry, objective overall conclusion: "The iPhone antenna performance is comparable with the performance of the other mobiles when handled or hands-free, though at the lower end of the range."

But PA's equally objective assessment of the Death Grip effect is damning: "The so called 'death grip' gives a substantial further drop in performance for the iPhone to the point where we could not quantify it using the same test method."

MORE:

Reply to
John Navas

Did I say that? (No.)

Those Internet links are some of the things that can go down. ;)

Not a terribly good analogy. ;)

Some are; some aren't -- I know quite a few that are chewing gum and bailing wire.

Reply to
John Navas

They do. That's why I live in an area where they aren't any.

Both in parallel. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Nope, no matter how many times you try to claim otherwise.

Reply to
John Navas

News wrote in news:FrSdnb5awfRH787RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

From all of us in amateur radio, you're quite welcome. Come join us!

Reply to
Larry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.