NEWS: Verizon and AT&T May Both Get Apple Tablet

You didn't cite any...

Or, you could try answering the question, it's a pretty straightforward, either "They'll penetrate equally well" or one or the other will penetrate better.

Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not true. Every county emergency center is highly integrated with ham radio because of the sheer number of stations that can be called upon to provide emergency communications, instantly, with no need for any more infrastructure than a car battery, a ham radio that is really tiny now, and a wire antenna strung between any two points 25 feet off the ground.

That station can provide 24/7 communications, without infrastructure at all, limited only by the gas for the genset to recharge the battery.

Reply to
Larry

Thanks, but I don't consider that a cell phone.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Perhaps you should broaden your horizons. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

I did. Do keep up. Otherwise, "Google is your friend".

Reply to
John Navas

Again, thanks for trying, but if you didn't know the answer you could have simply skipped the question, especially since it was asked tongue in cheek.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I think maybe you and everybody should move out of San Francisco. They are charging 3 bucks to go through the financial distist now. They want money and are coming up with fees and taxes that I have never heard anybody trying. Yes , Concord wants to raise sales taxes again, but every city seems to that. But San francisco is Special (Too Someone)

Reply to
mark

Shoot John I had a sat phone when i was in the navy in 1973, and they do work great. Especially when your Uncle Sam pays the bill

Reply to
mark

Well i think the military could get stuff anywhere it was needed. They did start ARPANET

Reply to
mark

Have you ever tried to call 911 on your cell phone?

Reply to
mark

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What great fun! The controversy about ham radio got me looking around for remote receivers across the planet I could control and play with. It's

2AM, suddenly! I've been using an Icom 706 receiver at a ham's house in UK, who is, I'm sure, quite asleep but leaves his receiver on 24/7 as many do. I threw up a wire over a tree limb out in the dark and ran a little coax into my ham station tuned for 20 meters to see if I could hear myself across the Atlantic. That got me to wondering if I could make a PSK31 data contact to myself with such a horrible antenna, so had to jury-rig an audio cable into the mic jack of my little Yaesu mobile rig, the first rig I stumbled upon for this quickie project.

Not only could I hear myself in Sussex, other stations, hearing someone knew on started calling me about 11PM and I've been on the air ever since! My transmitter running about 30 watts to a 16' piece of wire thrown over a dead tree limb (insulator??) about 25' up and the ground plane the metal skin of my mobile home which has 18 screwed-in hurricane anchors. The furthest stations I worked were in the Ural Mountains of Russia and one station in India! Not bad on 30 watts of Phase Shift Keyed 31Hz bandwidth (PSK31) tones fleaclipped to a mic jack hanging apart....(c;]

The crazy thing about this link was I was STILL using the 14.070Mhz USB receiver IN SUSSEX, UK! Talk about SPACE DIVERSITY! Way cool!.....

Anyone doesn't like ham radio can just suck eggs!.....

73 DE W4CSC....Charleston....er, ah, Sussex....er, ah, Earth!
Reply to
Larry

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in news:i2sni8$rt1$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

But, just like invisible sellphone antennas on smartphones, invisible antennas that look like trees and birdhouses SUCK AS ANTENNAS and cannot provide us the level of service of a proper panel antenna on the side of a proper tower.

Reply to
Larry

I was in SoCal when the quake hit. I tried for six hours to get through to ANYONE who could give me the scoop on my radio charges. I was able to reach NO ONE, including my own home, anyone at any of the stations, any friends, relatives, or anyone else. No calls would go through, wireless or wired.

Yes, the phones failed...whether you were aware of it or not. I ended up hitting the road about midnight and driving back to the Bay Area. For all I knew, everything I owned or serviced was destroyed.

Yes, it did...whether you want to believe it or not.

Reply to
John Higdon

Actually, it did happen. I was in the thick of it. For several days, I used various stations' two-way gear because the phones were so unreliable.

Reply to
John Higdon

Sure, it was hard to get dialtone, but it worked for us. I suggest that it wasn't the infrastructure that failed but the overloading. Considering that I was there (in SF) and you weren't, I'd rely more on experience than on yours.

I'm wondering how many hams had/have backup power for their rigs.

Reply to
David Kaye

Unless things have changed, next month at this time 50,000 people will be gathered together with no cell service. I speak, of course, of Burning Man near Gerlach Nevada.

Still, I concur that cellular service is one of the greatest safety devices ever invented.

Reply to
David Kaye

Notice that I'm not saying "ban cell phone antennas" but simply make them look nice and blend in. That is NOT brain surgery. It's the slash-and-burn mentality of the phone industry.

I'm all in favor of cell service. In fact I'd like to see more sites and more service, but no more ugly installations.

Reply to
David Kaye

I'd like to see SF's population drop by 200,000 (back to the 1960s size) and give the rest of us some breathing room. Maybe y'all should strap your suitcases to Higdon's car when he heads to Utah to retire.

Reply to
David Kaye

If San Francisco permits Joy Behar to go out in public, then there is no reason to disallow something that is much more attractive, like a ham antenna, to be seen in public as well.

Reply to
Father Guido Sarducci

Here's a concept - if the Amish own "Amish Country" then THEY decide what gets put up on THEIR land. I know this is blasphemous to all the government-uber-alles Harvey Milk-Duds in San Fascistco, but it's part of that "life liberty and property" crap that left us speaking without British accents.

Reply to
Father Guido Sarducci

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.