NEWS: Verizon and AT&T May Both Get Apple Tablet

Sorry Jeff, those are numbers sold in particular quarters, not in use.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons
Loading thread data ...

Well, Google will have to do without my company tonight.

Other answers show no answer as to in use.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

Yes, they're sales figures. I interpreted John's original comments to reflect current sales figures, not total number of users, which would only dilute the trends because of the large number of existing users tied to the device and to the carrier by 2 year contracts.

For overall user figures (2nd quarter, 2010), see:

Overall US 6 months ownership sales Rim 35% 33% iPhone 28% 23% Windoze Mobile 15% 11% Android 13% 27% Palm 3% 1% Linux 3% 3% Symbian 2% 2%

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Dude: here's what the person (Lloyd, not John) said in the post to which you just replied:

"In numbers in use? I don't think so. Can you provide a link showing that please?"

And you provided market share figures instead.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Let's play sematics. Why would Lloyd ask John to provide numbers for something that he didn't claim (i.e. overall ownership)? John said: On the contrary -- Android has now moved past iPhone into 2nd place behind RIM in smartphones. which means current sales, not overall user count. John's statement is correct for both the current quarter and 6 month sales.

Also, see link and quoted numbers below. The first column is "overall US ownership" which is the number of users in the US by phone operating system. The numbers were extracted from the 2nd and 3rd graphs from the URL below. My notation as it being the 2nd quarter,

2010 is to indicate the ending date. That should be the same as "in numbers in use".
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff, you misread John. His implication was that Android is bigger in use than iPhone. But it is easy to misread what John means or implies as he has no grasp on business concepts at all.

Go back a read a few of his posts concerning market share, revenue vs profit and others for examples of his lack of basic business concepts.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

The resolution to this pissing contest is easy:

Step #1:

Both participants make a public promise to answer the posed question if the other guy does the same.

Step #2:

Both participants will send their answers to an independent third party, who will post the results of both replies (or neither), subject to receiving both (or neither) replies.

The participants are free to ignore this opportunity to avoid trashing their own personal credibility....at their own peril.

-hh

Reply to
-hh

There have actually been several:

Most recently:

Reply to
John Navas

More than enough for complaints to surface. Droid has been hot.

What reports?

Reply to
John Navas

I implied nothing -- my post speaks for itself, and was correct.

Which of those basic concepts do you not understand?

Reply to
John Navas

Your post was intended to give the impression that there are more Android phones out there than iPhones, which is not the case at all.

I understand all of them, you OTOH, have shown a complete lack of understanding. That's a shame as I'm retired while you are still trying to run a business.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

Nope. Read more carefully.

Old saying in litigation: When you have the facts on your side, pound on the facts. When the law is on your side, pound on the law. When neither the law nor the facts are on your side, pound on the table (and your opponent).

Reply to
John Navas

You are either new here and haven't read Slade's previous postings, or incredibly naive in what you are willing to credit him with.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

Or a troll.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

What relevance does that have here?

Reply to
John Navas

I hadn't actually considered him a troll, still don't.

I think he makes some valid points, I just don't always agree with him.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

This is not especially meaningful. The iPhone has faced _far_ more scrutiny than the confused mess of Android phones various carriers are now selling.

Reply to
ZnU

One of these things is not like the others.

I'm increasingly convinced there's no particularly good reason to count all Android phones in one pool when making comparisons. They're not from the same vendor. They don't provide a unified set of hardware or software capabilities or a consistent user experience across devices. And a lot of Android phones are sold with relatively little mention of 'Android'. If you look at the application sales estimates, it's not clear that users even understand Android as a platform; I suspect many are just buying Android phones as more capable 'feature' phones.

Android might be more properly thought of as a common open source codebase that handset vendors can draw on when building their phones than as a mobile platform to be directly compared to Apple's or RIM's.

Reply to
ZnU

I respectfully disagree -- Android has received enormous scrutiny.

Reply to
John Navas

In other words, define the problem away. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.