NEWS: Verizon and AT&T May Both Get Apple Tablet

except that with the explosion of android phones, you don't see very many complaints about verizon, yet you still see complaints about at&t.

Reply to
nospam
Loading thread data ...

In the grand scheme of things, that explosion is not a big one. The numbers are still pretty low.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

although there are a lot more iphones than android devices, android is selling a *lot* of devices and there aren't very many problems on verizon, sprint or t-mobile. with the iphone, at&t had problems from day one.

Reply to
nospam

That is true, and the conjecture was that back then, any provider would have had a horrible time dealing with it. Of course, it should be better now, and from reports I see, it is in many parts of the country, but not all.

As to Android, yes they are selling lots these days, but the numbers are still small compared to the number of active iPhones, and it is spread among providers.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

Not to mention the reputations of the companies involved. Verizon has built such a reputation about its network (IMO, equal parts deserved and purchased via advertising) that I suspect the typical AT&T customer with any problem blames the network, while the analogous Verizon customer, with "can you hear me now?" ads bouncing in his head, blames his handset!

Reply to
Todd Allcock

On the contrary -- Android has now moved past iPhone into 2nd place behind RIM in smartphones.

Reply to
John Navas

In numbers in use? I don't think so. Can you provide a link showing that please?

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

Depends on your definition of "small" -- 8.7 million Android handsets here in the U.S. compared with 10.7 million iPhones according to Quantcast.

True, but Android phones on AT&T aren't generating complaints the way iPhone has and still is.

Reply to
John Navas

Sorry, but you've provided nothing to support that claim. Can you?

Reply to
Alan Baker

No lawsuits or press reports of problems. Anything to counter that? ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Been there, done that -- see my posts here with citations and numbers. Otherwise, "Google is your friend."

Reply to
John Navas

so iphone is still ahead, contrary to your claim that android is ahead of iphone.

more importantly, those numbers do not include the ipod touch and the ipad. there are over 100 million ios devices in the world, with android but a tiny fraction of that number.

where android may be ahead is in day to day sales, but they have a lot of catching up to do.

bullshit. look at recent user surveys, which were *not* about the iphone, but carriers in general, i.e., all phones.

Reply to
nospam

that is not proof of anything.

Reply to
nospam

in other words, no you can't.

Reply to
nospam

1st quarter 2010

RIM 36% Android 28% Apple 21%

2nd quarter 2010

RIM 28% Android 33% Apple 22%

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry, but you said "complaints" what you're seeing in the press is that Apple gets lots of press, and there is no iPhone lawsuit of which I'm aware.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Those are quarterly market share figures and not numbers in use.

Reply to
Alan Baker

market share can be calculated in various ways.

smartphone market share, nielsen, through q1 2010: rim 35% iphone 28% windows mobile 19% android 9% palm 4% linux 3% symbian 2%

also, none of these include the iphone 4, which only had a couple of days of sales in q2 2010.

Reply to
nospam

there are at least 5 lawsuits for the antenna issue, but having read three of them, they're beyond specious.

there have been lawsuits involving the iphone all along, including one a few years ago when someone waited many hours in line only to find that the model she wanted was sold out, so she bought the lower capacity model which was discontinued not long after that (because very few people bought it) so she sued because it was suddenly devalued.

Reply to
nospam

A couple things to consider.

1. How many Android phones are running on the Verizion network alone? I don't know, but suspect it is quite a bit lower than iPhones on AT&T

1. Reports are that most Android phone users aren't buying many additional apps. If that is so, does that impact?

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.