NEWS: USB goes Wireless

First certified devices launched

The first devices submitted for Wireless USB certification have been approved, and four of them will be in US shops by the end of the summer.

Laptops from Dell and Lenovo, as well as hubs (and adapters) from IO Gear and D-Link, are the first devices to receive Wireless USB certification: ensuring that they'll work properly together and conform to the Wireless USB standard.

Belkin is already selling a Wireless USB hub-and-adapters set, but that pre-dates certification, and performance varies as the reviews on Amazon show.

[MORE]
Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

OLD news...Verizon has been selling USB WiFi devices.

Reply to
DTC

DTC hath wroth:

Nope. Welcome to the buzzword muddle. "Wireless USB" is very different from "USB wireless" and "WirelessUSB".

Wireless USB was previously UWB (ultra-wideband) from 3.1GHz to

10.6GHz with speeds up to 480Mbits/sec at 3 meters range.

For various reasons that you can read about elsewhere, the UWB standards initiative collapsed. The torch was picked up by the USB Implimenters Forum and immediately mutated into "Wireless USB".

"USB Wireless" is the commodity Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g client with a USB interface to the computah.

"WirelessUSB" (with no space) is a cordless extension for USB devices (printers, scanners, cell phones, PDA's) by Cypress Semiconductor.

There are others to add to the confusion: WirelessHD (WiHD), Wibree, WiMedia, etc.

If you're still confused, you're in good company, as even the vendors can't seem to keep the buzzwords and acronyms straight.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Its about freaking time...

I hope we see more wireless USB hubs soon.. They should get better and cheaper. I want to cut the cables for my existing USB stuff.

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.