NEWS: SMS Bug In Your iPhone Could Prove Disastrous

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 09:04:14 -0700, nospam wrote in :

None of the first 4 iPhone users I asked had ever synced.

AT&T has an exclusive and is the only entity in a position to alert these users.

The issue is lack of knowledge.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

4 out of over 20 million, now there's a statistically valid sample. if they never synced as you claim, then they don't have a whole lot of music, videos, apps or contacts on the phone, and that's *very* atypical.

only in the usa is at&t the exclusive carrier. the iphone is sold in 80 countries worldwide. remind me again what at&t has to do with that.

the issue is talking out of one's posterior in conjunction with the self-admitted lack of knowledge.

Reply to
nospam

And just what have the others done, hmmmm?

Reply to
George Kerby

Bullshit is NavASS' Middle Name.

You don't think AT&T is Omnipotent?!? SHAME!

Most all I know have done so already. ~20 minutes - no big deal. When I go to sync my phone, it asked if I wanted to. NavASS is trying to blow smoke up people's asses, nothing new...

Reply to
George Kerby

Knowing the crowd you run with, why am I NOT surprised by that statement?!? What a maroon!

GAWD! You are dense. Strat has you pegged: You've gotta be the stupidest f*****ad on the Internet.

You said it. Glad you finally admitted that you don't know jack-shit about anything.

Reply to
George Kerby

How did they get it activated?

I bet they synced it once. They just don't remember.

I can believe that some don't sync or don't sync often. AT&T should probably send out an SMS alert about the update.

Reply to
Charles

Then I'll wager that none of those users understood what "sync" meant (or assumed you meant transfer PIM data).

Ask if they ever connect their iPhone to their computer to add/change the music/media on it, and you'll get a different answer. I seriously doubt you've found four users that don't ever use the phone as an iPod! Adding/changing media is the only time I connwct my wife's, and that's at least twice a month.

Other than Apple, that is.

Reply to
Todd Allcock

I have a friend in Florida who bought iPhones for his staff and family. I think he has 6 of them. I just asked him (via Skype chat) if he's every synced or backed up any of the phones using iTunes. His daughter is somewhat of a hack, so she's got iTunes running on her Mac. However, the other phones have never seen a computah.

I've also seen a few iPhones with only the stock collection of Apps, which is a clue that they never get synced.

I've also heard some rather odd comments about the long time it takes to Sync. One iPhone user claimed it took more time than he was willing to spend: It's apparently a common complaint:

What you don't know, won't hurt you. I think it's more like lack of understanding. I have a hell of a time getting customers to do updates, virus scans, and system backups. The only thing that really works is to let them get infected with a virus, their hard disk die, or some other preventable failure. After the initial data loss and disaster, they're far more interested in doing updates, scans, and backups. For the iPhone, perhaps a few hijacking and publicizing some high profile security leaks, will help. Otherwise, knowledge of the update isn't going to help convincing the user to do the update.

What every happened to firmware updates via the OTA interface? 20 million iPhones * 300MBytes/update = 6 terabytes Never mind. It would probably kill the 3G and GPRS networks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

vulnerability

Reportedly, according to the link posted earlier, Google patched it already. WinMo, Blackberry, or Symbian weren't affected by this particular exploit.

Reply to
Todd Allcock

that's the exception rather than the rule. there are even iphones still running 1.x firmware for reasons i cannot fathom.

most people plug the iphone into their computer to charge, and itunes will automatically launch and pester them about an update (unless they've disabled that).

not only is it not common, but that's from a year ago! can't you do any better?

there was a bug in the 2.0.x firmware that caused backups to sometimes take absurd amounts of time. because of that, many users just disabled the backup portion of the sync, making the sync quite fast. more importantly, that bug was fixed *long* ago in 2.1. btw, the current firmware is 3.0.1.

Reply to
nospam

from what i read, winmo was vulnerable, although the exact payload might be a little different.

Reply to
nospam

AT&T had a sale in Florida, where they were unloading 1G and 2G iPhones for peanuts. I suspect none of them were updated prior to sale. No clue if AT&T even informed the customers that an update was necessary.

No good deed remains unpunished. I'm on Skype chat with my friend in Florida with the 6 iPhones, explaining how to download iTunes, how to register an account, how to sync, how to check for updates, configuring iTunes, registering for the Apps Store, why he shouldn't sync with multiple computers, etc. My day is ruined.

The typical Windoze box belches those warning all the time. Most of my clueless users think it's a fake warning by some malicious application and ignore it. That's the fallout from all the pop-ups and "you have a virus" warnings that appear all over the web. When in doubt, most users do nothing. I constantly see machines which are flashing update demands in the system tray for all manner of software. When asked, the customer usually claims they didn't notice.

Sorry. The iPhone sync complaints I heard were about 2 weeks ago. That probably means they are still running old firmware. I'll bug the owners.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

that would be the same phone. the original 2g iphone (aka edge, as opposed to 3g) is sometimes called a 1g for first generation and at&t unloaded those over a year ago just prior to the 3g iphone launch, when apple (deliberately) ran out of stock.

there was no 2.0 firmware at the time. the update was not 'necessary', but without it, there is no apps store, removing one of the key features of the device.

it's baffling that someone has an iphone and never touched itunes, considering it's required to set up the phone. did they do everything in the store?

Reply to
nospam

Syncing is pretty fast. Always. It us the backups that can be long. Too long in my opinion. Depends on what you have on your iPhone to backup. I have a lot of photos. By default it backs up and syncs automatically when connected. I have changed that to manual backup and sync and sync almost every day, do a back up about once a week or two because of the time it takes to back up. Probably many users leave the default and don't know they can skip the back up.

Reply to
Charles

photos shouldn't cause the backup to take that long.

Reply to
nospam

I don't know why it takes long. 45 minutes to an hour. Just speculating that it could be the photo's. Maybe it is the applications. I have almost five pages of applications.

Reply to
Charles

It's hard to piece together complete stories from the sometimes sloppy (or dumbed-down) reporting, so the way I pieced it together from various reports was that WinMo was vulnerable to a different (but equally serious) exploit. Apparently some WinMo phones are "misconfigured" by the manufacturer and don't bother checking silent operator configuration SMS messages for authenticity. (GSM phones are supposed to allow configuration messages from the mobile operator, and ONLY from the operator - this bug allows the phone to accept them from anyone!)

This exploit was discovered by Flexilis- a mobile security software company, (that's NOT an implication that the exploit has been exaggerated to sell security software- I'm just pointing out it was discovered by someone other than Mliler, who found the iPhone/Android bug.) Flexilis is supposed to be releasing a tool soon to allow users to test their handset for this bug. Flexilis was vague (or the journalists didn't ask the right questions!) about which handsets are vulnerable, but said it affects various WinMo models of all brands (but probably GSM only- CDMA apparently uses a different control scheme.)

Given WinMo's ridiculous "Tinkers to Evers to Chance" OS update method (where both the OEM and mobile operator have to "bless" updates for carrier-branded handsets,) if my Tilt is an affected handset, I can probably expect a patch shortly after apes rise up and take over the earth.

Kidding aside, MS will generally step in with important updates if OEMs and carriers drag their feet. (They had to for the US Daylight Savings Time date changes in 2007, when virtually no OEM or MO bothered releasing the update even a month before the changes first kicked in!)

Having said that, this bug might be ignored by MS, unfortunately, since it looks like an OEM configuration problem rather than an actual OS bug, (again, config via SMS is a legit GSM feature) so MS might just wash their hands of it since it's a third-party config problem, similar to if, say, AT&T released a WinMo phone with incorrect AT&T data settings pre- installed- that would be on AT&T and the OEM to fix, since it's not an OS component.

Reply to
Todd Allcock

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:22:06 -0400, Charles wrote in :

Agreed.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:19:18 -0600, Todd Allcock wrote in :

In fact I did. In at least two cases, they have separate iPods they continue to use.

Apple is not.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:24:33 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Bloated iTunes updates notwithstanding, patches can be done with relatively small files; e.g.,

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.