NEWS: ISP blows the whistle on router chip 'fault' [ADSL]

:

One of the UK's best-respected broadband providers has raised concerns about the reliability of the world's most popular ADSL chip.

Zen Internet has uncovered a potential problem with the Texas Instruments AR7. The chip is at the heart of about a third of routers in use worldwide today - including Linksys and Netgear kit.

Zen has told its customers not to buy models that contain the chip because they provide an unstable connection.

[MORE]

Incomplete list of some of the dozens of routers that contain the chip:

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

could be true this I was doing a adsl wireless installation with a linksys router and I could not get the router adsl light to stop flashing, I used another type of router in the end that connected no problem

Reply to
bex753

My Actiontec GT-704 is as stable as a rock(AR7 chipset), uptime since last config change 91days. And I've got one of the worst lines in DSL hell..

So far this modem is of the best (S/N wise.. connection reliability, performance), I've ever run into (verses 6 other DSL modems)..

P.S. Their is a nasty DNS bug in th eGT-704.. But I've shut off that service.

Meanwhile, Bellsouth/AT&T keeps on splicing in more and more junk into my 11,500ft underground loop. BS measurements now indicate that it's a 26,000 ft loop.

BT's weak point is that it uses the defective PPPoX protocol on top of the ATM bridging functionality. .

That makes the whole setup highly vulnerable to anything less than a perfect connection. BS/AT&T compensates for this built-in weakness by increasing the interleave factor(Noise profile) to 16 milliseconds.. (which sucks big time.)

Note to gamers: A 16ms interleave ratio adds 32ms to the round trip time of any packet sent to/from your IP address..

And each time their is a packet lost, the PPPoX connection is broken and must be re-negioated/restarted. (Big time disruption. several seconds + TCP timeouts & retries)

Fortunately, I've got a bridged (no PPPoX), 2ms interleaved connection through Covad.. and a few dropouts don't bother my low latency connection to the net.

Reply to
T. Keating

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.