NEWS: iPhone becomes phisherman's friend

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:16:17 -0600, Todd Allcock wrote in :

Dangerous assumption -- proprietary code isn't subjected to scrutiny (peer review), and thus tends to be much riskier than open code.

You actually have no way of knowing that. And that's the point. "Security is a process, not a product." -Bruce Schneier

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:11:46 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in :

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

0 for 4. Par for your course. ;)
Reply to
John Navas

I did. It was still gibberish, glib and noninformative.

BTW I presume you've been on holiday for the last month - you're replying to a post I made on 20th July.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

He will say he was sailing. (Yeah Right) He was proved wrong about who was offered the iphone 1st. It was shown to him, but like always he is a jerk when it comes to admitting he was wrong. So he stays clear for a few weeks then comes back and try's to dispute what was said. I guess he thinks by being gone for a few weeks we will forget.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:58:40 GMT, "Kevin Weaver" wrote in :

Think whatever fantasy you wish, but we were 1st to finish and 2nd on corrected time in the recent HDA Island Tour. That's me driving in . And you? ;)

Wrong on all counts. Again. Get a life.

Reply to
John Navas

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:03:18 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

You must have a reading comprehension problem.

Nope -- just very busy. Unlike some others here, I have a life. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Cop out. It was shown on your fav website you enjoy to quote so much that the iphone was offered to Verizon first. Go look it up on the register. Call it what you want. If you call it BS, Then why do you keep posting from that site ?

Oh, I understand. If it fits you post it. If not, You dispute it. Can't have it both ways.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

I'm baffled by all this iphone talk It is so yesterday. The refurbs are piling up:

What is interesting is all the effort to put the iphone on T-mobile. The hatred of AT&T is really intense. More than I would have guessed.

I'm waiting for the 8320 on T-mobile. Really, no need for the iphone when you can have a real keyboard on a Blackberry.

Reply to
miso

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:51:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com wrote in :

FICTION: Intense hatred.

FACT:

Hotz, who has met legendary hackers Kevin Mitnick and John T. Draper, doesn?t believe in doing malicious work. He said he was motivated to crack the iPhone simply for fun. And, he acknowledged, because his parents had a T-Mobile family plan and wouldn?t pay for AT&T iPhone service.

Different strokes for different folks: I much prefer the (HSDPA) RAZR V3xx.

Reply to
John Navas

Not hatred of AT&T by that particular hacker, but rather hatred of AT&T by potential iPhone customers. Remember, AT&T wireline did backflips for the Bush Crime family regarding NSA surveillance.

At the moment, Blackberry doesn't have any phones with HSDPA. I rather have the RIM OS and build quality. Moto phones have a cheap made in China feel.

Reply to
miso

It's not hatred of AT&T per se, it's that many people want to buy iPhones for the browser, mainly using Wi-Fi, and don't want to pay the high monthly cost. The unlocked iPhone allows you to use a very low priced prepaid plan from T-Mobile.

A heavy text messaging and e-mail user would not buy an iPhone, but the iPhone has a better web browser.

Reply to
SMS

That can't be it- there's already the "no phone service" hack that surfaced immediately, and frankly, while T-Mo does have a better prepaid plan than AT&T, AT&T's isn't that expensive, and at least has (expensive) EDGE data available as a backup. Unlocking is a lot of work to save a couple of bucks on prepaid servive.

I suspect the hacking of the iPhone is mostly an Everest thing... (both for the challenge and "because it's there.") plus our basic human revulsion at being told by someone else what you can and can't do! ;-)

Reply to
Todd Allcock

It's more than a couple of bucks. After going "gold" you can have T-Mobile prepaid for $10 per year, while AT&T is $100/year minimum, AFAICS.

The main reason to buy the current generation of iPhone is for the web browser over WiFi. It's not a good device for texting, and it lacks the applications available on true PDA phones. Web use on EDGE is very slow. Still, even if you buy it for the WiFi and web browser it's nice to have the phone part work. If you want the phone portion to work without paying a lot, T-Mobile is the way to go.

Reply to
SMS

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:00:33 -0700, SMS wrote in :

Anything to slam AT&T. Why am I not surprised.

Reply to
John Navas

Unlike yourself. We don't kiss the ground AT&T walks on.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:44:19 -0700, "Kevin Weaver" wrote in :

Good for you. Likewise me. Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Jeez, stating the fact that T-Mobile's prepaid costs less than AT&T's prepaid, and that EDGE is slow, is somehow slamming AT&T?

Unlike Navas, I am not shilling for any carrier, I just state the facts.

Reply to
SMS

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 07:18:47 -0700, SMS wrote in :

EGPRS(EDGE) isn't "slow", and you are slamming AT&T at every opportunity.

You are actually misstating the "facts", conducting a personal vendetta against GSM in general and AT&T in particular, and attacking me for setting the record straight.

Reply to
John Navas

Wrong again. It was indeed clearly shown Apple approached Verizon before AT&T.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.