NEWS: iPad gouges netbook sales

Tablets look set a displace the netbook, if figures from market watcher DisplaySearch are to be believed.

DisplaySearch tracks all mobile computer sales, from netbooks through ultraportables right the way up to desktop replacement behemoths.

The telling figures are netbooks' share of the overall mobile computer market. According to DisplaySearch's data, that share rose from just under 14 per cent in Q3 2008 to around 20 per cent in Q2 2009 - this time last year. Since then the share figure has stayed static at just over 20 per cent.

This shows netbooks have found their niche - though at a fifth of the mobile computer market, it's a big one.

But now it's being eaten into the the tablet, and the iPad in particular.

DisplaySearch puts the Apple gadget's share of the netbook segment at

6.5 per cent in Q1 2010 - Apple shipped 700,000 of them into retail channels, DisplaySearch said - rising to 30 per cent in Q2, though that remains a forecast - the quarter's not done yet.

Crucially, that plateau share of the overall portable PC arena includes tablets. So as iPad sales have come primarily at the cost of netbook sales, eating into the latter to keep the overall group's market share the same.

That's just the iPad - more tablets are coming, from HP and Samsung to name but two.

MORE:

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Will reverse as soon as word gets out that current tablets are woefully inadequate, under-performing netbooks and an untenable form factor pda.

Reply to
News

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Who turned up the reality distortion field excitation current?!

Reply to
Larry

News wrote in news:k7-dnTf_IPH2 _ofRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Naw. The buyers are stupids looking for an appliance that operates like their DVD player. They'll accept anything if they don't have to open the instruction manual to get it to play.

Reply to
Larry

That covers maxiPad stupidtinos. What about the rest?

Reply to
News

News wrote in news:98WdnfVXbctBHofRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

There IS a hard core of computer lovers that remains steadfastly holding onto control of their stuff.

Last night I was booted to MeeGo, the new Nokia Maemo - Intel open source OS for sellphones and other mobile devices. It's going to be a very fast, very tight Linux-based OS specifically designed for ATOM- based mobiles. It boots from a USB flash in 25 seconds from a cold start. Google Chrome is the currently loaded browser. The whole OS, games, utilities, Chrome, and other pre-installed toys only takes up

800KB! True multiwindowed multitasking. Everything runs in background as a real operating system should. It's still in beta even though they are calling it 1.0 for Netbooks. For the small mobile screens, it will be a very neat package. I even got one of the Linux Skypes to run on it so I could get on VoIP. Very cool....(c;]
Reply to
Larry

I was thinking of the broad middle region of the bell curve that considers function more of a requirement than appearances.

Reply to
News

The iPad is set to surpass Apple Mac computer shipments by September, while production levels for the yet-to-be-released iPhone 4G will hit 12 million by that time, according to an analyst.

"By the September quarter, iPad sales volumes should exceed Mac, which, on average, are about 3 million on a quarterly basis," said Ashok Kumar, an analyst at Rodman & Renshaw, in a phone interview Friday. Kumar said that iPad shipments will "easily" reach 4 million by the end of the September quarter.

Kumar also commented on the production ramp for the iPhone 4G. "Supply chain checks indicate that 4G production volumes will approach 12 million units by the September quarter," he wrote in a research note sent out Friday. The iPhone 4G is Apple's next-generation iPhone, due later this year.

"Along with 3GS shipments, total iPhone quarterly volume could approach

15 million units in September. If these trends manifest, iPhone volumes for the year will top 40 million units or well above current street estimates. The production volumes are a confirmation that Apple is increasingly becoming carrier agnostic," Kumar wrote.

Kumar continued. "Verizon launch (is) on track for the holidays: With FCC certification behind, the primary gating factor remains the terms of engagement with Verizon. Supply chain checks indicate that Apple will launch the product in time for the holidays. If these events unfold as planned, iPhone quarterly volume (all flavors) could reach 17 million units by December," Kumar wrote.

MORE:

Reply to
John Navas

Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. mobile-phone carrier, may follow AT&T Inc. in introducing tiered pricing and eliminating unlimited data plans this year as it moves to its faster fourth-generation network technology.

?We will probably need to change the design of our pricing where it will not be totally unlimited, flat rate,? John Killian, chief financial officer of Verizon Communications Inc., the wireless unit?s parent, said in an interview at Bloomberg?s headquarters in New York today.

The company anticipates ?explosions in data traffic? over wireless networks as new phones on 4G networks incorporate data- heavy applications, such as video downloads, he said. Verizon is working to keep its network running smoothly as more of its customers switch to smartphones that connect to the Internet.

The company is finalizing new data plans for the 4G network, which is expected to provide 10 times faster data rates than older networks, and isn?t ready to announce specifics, said Killian, 55. AT&T, the exclusive U.S. carrier for Apple Inc.?s iPhone, said this month it will introduce plans based on the amount of data customers use and stop offering unlimited plans to manage the soaring data traffic.

?The more bandwidth that you make available, the faster it will be consumed,? said Craig Moffett, analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. in New York. ?From Verizon?s perspective, the last thing you want is for another generation of consumers to be conditioned to the idea that data is always going to be uncapped.?

NEWS:

Reply to
John Navas

What really bugs me about the iPad and recent "tablets" is that they are so far from being a "REAL" tablet pc that they need a new term, maybe "app-pad" or something.

FWIW there ARE real tablets on the market, and have been for years, that are full-function PCs that run everything modern laptops and desktops can run--plus pen-centric stuff you can't even run on standard pcs. I do

90% of my day-to-day PC work on a 5 year old Motion M1400 tablet (complete with docking station, keyboard, mouse, extended desktop on 2nd monitor, and multiple usb hubs) and it's 1.1Ghz Pentium M/2GB memory is ancient compared to the multi-core models available now.
Reply to
Jud

where is this definition written?

and they didn't sell very well.

it's not what people actually want.

Reply to
nospam

Jud wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

We could call it "WebTV", but I think that name is branded and we'd get sued....(c;]

iPad is just another WebTV device....connecting to the cloud.

Reply to
Larry

maxiPads

All of which leave maxiPads in the sanitary circular file

Reply to
News

Over 2,000,000 people have disageed with you by voting with their wallets. Just for fun how many real people can you round up that even remotely agree with you? By agree with you I mean that are equally viscous Apple haters. I know you can get Larry and Mark and a few others but far less than

2,000,000. That pretty much leaves you pissing in the wind. Eh?
Reply to
John B. Coarsey, PE

Ha! cnet luminary in the 1 PM hour on CNBC live stated most maxiPad buyers haven't even figured out what they can and can't do with it!

Wait until they find its highest/best use is as an overpriced coaster.

Reply to
News

On 6/18/10 2:04 PM, in article hvgg0t$44d$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, "John B. Coarsey, PE @yahoo.com>"

With his mouth agape. He's into the 'recycling' thing, ya' know?

Reply to
George Kerby

CNBC. No THERE'S a reliable source of news. NOT!

No wonder that you use that P.O.S. For your handle. Peas in a pod...

Reply to
George Kerby

the Ipad fits my needs, portable, long battery life, easy to read books with old eyes, some internet access almost anywhere, photos, music, etc many things to keep me amused.

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote in news:hvi9kp$434$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

You must live in the DARK......(c;]

Reply to
Larry

To my eyes the Kindle display is much easier to read for long periods of time.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.