• Kaspersky Free Virus Scan

• McAfee FreeScan
  • Panda ActiveScan

• Trend Micro Housecall

• Windows Live OneCare safety scanner
Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Are you recommending these for the average user? I personally wouldn't as they do require some research on the results to decide whether it is a genuine rootkit, a false positive or a result that is expected.e.g.- I run the RKR 1.71 on my XP machines and always came up with an entry because it scans the HKLM\\Security security hive and gives

HKLM\\Security\\Policy\\Secrets\\SAC* HKLM\\Security\\Policy\\Secrets\\SAI* with trailing nulls. It took a while to find out that this was expected behaviour and is listed on the Sysinternals forums. I have also had inconsistent results using it on Vista SP1

The other 2 programs do not work on Vista.

Reply to
LR

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:36:53 +0000, LR wrote in :

No, this is a list of tools I personally find useful.

For average users I recommend hiring an expert, or reinstalling from scratch.

Reply to
John Navas

This would be hilarious, if it were not so sad. He displays the same, 100% repeated, aberrant behavior in each and every newsgroup he trolls. Some purposely created in which to troll.

A behavior like Nathan Thurm, the SNL character played by Martin Short.

A shady lawyer, Thurm was a chain-smoker, quite paranoid, and constantly in denial about his paranoia. "I'm not being defensive. You're the one who's being defensive."

When questioned, his catch phrase often included, "It's so funny to me that you would think..." He would also look into the camera and express his puzzlement at the questioner by asking, "Is it me, or is it him? It's him, right?"

Other times, he would deny an accusation, then immediately reverse his position when the accuser reaffirmed the statement. "No, it isn't!" ("Yes it is.") "I know that! Why wouldn't I know that? I'm well aware of that!"

Imagine:

formatting link

Reply to
Not Me

MS have issued a patch via windows update. The Win Update didn't work for my IE8b2 on Vista so I had to manually download from:-

Reply to
LR

Freeware science abounds! I knew it, Bear Bottoms has pushed freeware research internationally! John, your protocols are straight from the Freeware Scientists Manual written by William "Bear" Bottoms.

Next time any denigrators denigrate, you remember this time in time where men were free and those past times when they could free...base.

Not that BB would know.....ok, move on.

formatting link

Reply to
aracARI

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.