NEWS: FCC moves to gain more authority over broadband service

The Federal Communications Commission voted Thursday to start the controversial process of reclassifying high-speed Internet access to give the agency more authority over service providers to prevent disparate treatment of customers.

The commission voted 3-2 along party lines to put out for public comment a new regulatory framework, dubbed the Third Way, that would make Internet service providers subject to some of the same nondiscrimination rules that apply to telephone companies.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski has been a vocal supporter of requiring Internet providers to treat all similar Web traffic equally, an issue known as net neutrality.

MORE:

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

"...along party lines..."

I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing that. It doesn't matter any more whether an idea is good or not, it just matters whether or not the author is with the majority party du jour.

I'm all for regulating internet services but a government run like this won't be any better than a handful of lazy telcos.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

FCC takes baby step towards net neutrality

Critics foresee webageddon

The US Federal Communications Commission announced on Wednesday that it would open up the topic of broadband regulation to public commentary ? and from some of reactions to that mild step, you'd think that by doing so they were destroying America's economic future.

MORE:

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.