NEWS: FCC boss stumps for free and open internet

FCC boss stumps for free and open internet Comcast begs to differ - in court By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco

CES 2010 On Friday morning, Comcast asked a US court to strike down a

2008 Federal Communications Commission order to stop blocking subscribers' heavy use of its services, saying that the FCC had exceeded its authority. On Friday afternoon, during a casual interview at the Consumer Electronics Show, the response from the FCC chairman was: "No comment, but..."

Chairman Julius Genachowski seized the opportunity to reiterate the FCC's net-neutrality goals and reasoning to his interlocuter, Consumer Electronics Association president and CEO Gary Shapiro.

When Shapiro asked him his opinion of Comcast's argument that the FCC didn't have authority to dictate to them how to run their business - "There was simply no federal law to interpret, enforce, or apply against Comcast," were Comcast's words - Genachowski danced away from the question. "The litigation underscores for me the importance of developing sensible rules of the road around a free and open internet that people understand," he said, adding that "we'll obviously watch what happens with the court and act accordingly."

MORE:

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Irrelevant to alt.internet.wireless. Please post only to relevant groups in the future.

Reply to
Gary Oldham

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 23:00:22 -0600, Gary Oldham wrote in :

I disagree. It's your post that's off-topic for alt.internet.wireless.

Please post only relevant content in the future.

Reply to
John Navas

Disagree all you want. That won't make it relevant.

Pointing out off-topic posts isn't off-topic itself, silly.

Done and done. Please take your own advice in the future.

Reply to
Gary Oldham

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:31:59 -0600, Gary Oldham wrote in :

Wrong on all counts.

Reply to
John Navas

Thank you, I appreciate that. It takes a big man to admit he was wrong on all counts. Have a great day.

Reply to
Gary Oldham

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.