NEWS: Cingular claims US first with HSDPA handset

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:57:17 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

A LOT less... South Korea: 38,321 square miles California: 163,707 square miles

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

It is not a monopoly, no matter how you shape and wrap it. Feel free to spin it otherwise if you like, but you will show your lack if you do.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

John you simpley do not live in the real world. Get out of the bay area sometime, it will prove an eye openner.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Net they don't string new wire, bet they lease it from the bell monoploy. You can only get service as good as the bell monopoly will allow.

Reply to
Rico

Let me guess, one of the Bush appointees to the FCC?

Reply to
Rico

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:36:17 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

There is no monopoly. Other companies can run their own cables, and some in fact do so.

Reply to
John Navas

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:34:23 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

Been there; done that. Choices abound.

Reply to
John Navas

"Some" would mean a very very very very very small number that get past the PUC and easement right of ways.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:20:53 GMT, DecaturTxCowboy wrote in :

By Federal law such permission cannot be withheld unreasonably.

The problem isn't PUC and easements -- the problem is lack of sufficient financial incentives.

Reply to
John Navas

Name the location. (city, town where bell also exists)

Reply to
Rico

You say this, but can you show us even one example where this is indeed the case. that the barrier wasn't the existing bell monopoly and the local PUC?

Reply to
Rico

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:58:08 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

Ameritech New Media

See 47 USC Sec. 541:

(1) A franchising authority may award, in accordance with the provisions of this subchapter, 1 or more franchises within its jurisdiction; except that a franchising authority may not grant an exclusive franchise and may not unreasonably refuse to award an additional competitive franchise. Any applicant whose application for a second franchise has been denied by a final decision of the franchising authority may appeal such final decision pursuant to the provisions of section 555 of this title for failure to comply with this subsection. (2) Any franchise shall be construed to authorize the construction of a cable system over public rights-of-way, and through easements, which is within the area to be served by the cable system and which have been dedicated for compatible uses, ...

Reply to
John Navas

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:56:38 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

Ameritech New Media

Reply to
John Navas

Hmm ... Comcast ran their cable through easements and up to my DMARC. For a period of time, I received POTS phone service (called Digital Phone) without using any QWest lines (the local ILEC). Same equipment and same internal wiring in my home. In short, there is no monopoly; I can use at least two companies for POTS (plain old telephone service) and indeed, they each offer their own wire carrier.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Coon Rapids, MN. Comcast rans their own cable for POTS.

Your tagline stinks.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Not familar with this area/town. what state in the Union is this?

Reply to
Rico

I think I asked this in a previous post, but where (in the real world) is this actually taking place? Not pie in the sky, real people can go touch it, is this actually happening?

Don't tell me choices exist until they actually exist. Because they clearly do not exist before they exist in reality.

Just so much bullsh*t until someone has strung wire that can be touched.

Reply to
Rico

I missed this, how many cable providers are there and how many phone companies with wire are in your home (or can get there)?

Reply to
Rico

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:17:15 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

"Google is your friend."

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:18:37 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

Here in Walnut Creek CA there are two choices for cable (Astound and Comcast), which makes three wireline providers.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.