Newbie seeks advice

Want to do things the easy way? Look into AD-Hoc network connections (no ap needed) and you can share all sorts of peripherals etc (802.11b cards are about $15 each, g is about 30)... You can always add/upgrade to an ap later.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

I currently run my pc & internet from an adsl wireless modem.

If i had another pc in a different room what would I need to buy to get net access wirelessly?

Would it just be a wireless PCI card for the other pc? Does anything need to be configured?

Thanks

Reply to
mark davies

To work wirelessly you would need a wireless access point to connect your pc with the modem. From that it would provide wireless to other pc's.

Or buy a wireless router/modem combo. Depends what you are after really and how much you have to spend.

the cheapest route would be a Wireless access point put next to the current pc. You would then require that pc to be on to get internet access for other pc's.

The best option is a wireless router and ethernet modem (assuming adsl) such as the Pre-N Belkin but there maybe other combo's suggested. then that pc can plug into it and wireless shares it to the rest of the house. The advantage being your connection is not dependant on any one pc being on.

kind regards,

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

What features does your "ADSL wireless modem" have? I take it this modem has a built-in wireless?

Is the wireless capability of the modem an "Access Point" or a client? Does it also have a built in router?

(You can do what you want without a router, but if it has one built in then it'll make things a little easier.)

If the "ADSL wireless modem" doesn't have some sort of routing or hub capability, basically you have three choices:

1. Use your wireless connection with the remote PC in "Ad Hoc" (point-to-point) mode. While this will work fine, you will only be able to connect one PC to the modem at a time. You won't be able to simultaneously use both computers to get on the internet.
  2. Use "routing" software on the PC that the modem is connected to. Win98SE (and higher) have Internet Connection Sharing, which would work in absence of an actual hardware router.
  3. Buy a router (and possibiliy even an AP, if this modem just has a wireless client built-in).

Whats the model of this modem? My guess is that, since it is wireless capable, it probably does have a built-in router/AP in it..

Reply to
Eras

My head hurts....

You are indeed correct. Its the horrible thought of work tomorrow that made me miss that :-)

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.