newbie question: wireless router on a local network

hello all,

being new to wireless networking, I bought the wrong router :-)

I now own a DLINK DI524-UP wireless router that I can't hook onto my USB Speedtouch Modem.

The idea was to keep using the ADSL modem for the main pc, and only when the laptop is being used in our home, to connect the wireless router, and extend the internet connection from the pc to the laptop through the wireless router...

schematically this would give:

ADSL --> USB speedtouch --> main pc (that is very often connected, and that I don't want to expose to even remote security problems that come with wireless internet) --> ethernet cable --> conventional router (also used for other pcs in our home) --> ethernet cable --> wireless router

--> wireless --> laptop.

I am able to find the wireless router from my laptop, but I can't figure out the settings in order to share the internet from the pc with the wireless.

is there a way of avoiding having to buy another modem?

greetings, D.

Reply to
danny van elsen
Loading thread data ...

I'd say get another modem and configure your network in the standard way: ADSL -> modem -> router -> PCs

I wonder if a USB-to-RJ45 adapter would work?

Reply to
jch

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:41:03 +0100, danny van elsen wrote in :

You don't want the conventional (wired) router, just a hub or switch, although the wired router could be used that way with just the LAN ports and the DHCP server turned off.

The wireless router needs to be configured as a wireless access point -- see wiki below.

Your main PC is still exposed to wireless this way, but wireless is less risk than the public Internet if you turn on WPA with a strong passphrase.

ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the PC.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:12:22 -0500, "jch" wrote in :

No.

Reply to
John Navas

yes !!! works !!! defined the wireless on the home network, connected it through the LAN socket (not the WAN), was able to access its interface on 192.168.0.1, configured it for security, kept the home pc as default gateway, and ... have internet on the laptop without LAN cable!!!

thanks, your input encouraged me to keep trying and put me on the right track !!!

Reply to
danny van elsen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.