Newbie question

• I happen to like Linksys WRT54G. It'll plug right into your cable modem device (ethernet connection) and has 4 ethernet switch ports as well. You can put your internal wired network on there. If you decide later to extend your wireless network with a 2nd WRT54G there is after-market firmwares which allow WDS "repeater" between 2 or more of them. SVEASOFT is one such firmware.
Reply to
Alan Spicer
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I already have a 10/100 ethernet at home with 3 pc's connected to it. I've just got another that I want to connect to the existing network, and would like to go wireless for this pc (and any future ones).

At the moment, the internet comes from a cabletv box, going into the main pc, and the connection is shared between the others. I don't really want to change the working network.

So, to connect the new pc to the existing network to share files, printers and the existing connection what kit do I need? I don't want to spend a lot of money on this, so only want to buy what I need to get this networked

Do I need an access point and a PCI wireless network card? Do I need a router? If I get a router, will it share all the files/printers as now as well as the internet connection?

What's the best way to go basically. Thanks for any help on this.

Reply to
David

For cheap/wireless, go to BestBuy (maybe other places too) and get the D-Link router/access point they have on sale (at least at my local store) for $10 after rebates.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.