Newbie: Is Lan Security an Option for Locking Down Wi-Fi Resource?

I was wondering is there a way to lock down the wi-fi without having to ask encryption key or mac address, but just have the wi-fi be a local network resource only? Like you have to be a user on the local network to use the wi-fi?

I share a house with temporary housemates. Since I offer temporary housing they come and go.

I thought that would be cool. I noticed the wi-fi getting a little slow and thought maybe it is time to lock the wi-fi down a little bit.

Was hoping to get around key passwords.

Thanks.

Reply to
author
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

For any real security you need both authentication and encryption; e.g., WPA-PSK with a long/strong passphrase.

To protect yourself against your housemates you need more than just wireless security -- you need to firewall them away from your part of the network. In a logical sense this is:

+--------------------+ +-----------------+ +----------+ +-----+ housemate | +--> housemate In other words, NOT: +--------------------+ +----------+ +-----------------+ +-----+ housemate | +--> housemate
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.