newbie-help need for weak connection please

Hi, We have free internet from the bar 4 floors down, but it gets really weak and sometimes goes away for various lengths of time. I am using a linksys network adaptor in the window and my question is this...my computer will pop up a notice and tell me that my device would work much better if I had a 2.0 usb. If I get a 2.0 usb external will that make my connection any stronger by providing more power to the antenna? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to wireless and I have been researching this for a few days without success. thanks, Paulalee

Reply to
paulalee
Loading thread data ...

No. Changing to USB 2.0 won't effect the signal strength.

Try moving the network adaptor to another position in your room. Use USB extension cable if necessary.

If the antenna is removable you could also try replacing it with a better one than the one supplied. You should be able to find a free design on the web.

Reply to
CWatters

Does the bar allow you to use it, even when you aren't a patron?

There's not a _lot_ you can do, but I'd start with a Linksys WAP54G in client mode, different positionings, and possibly an external antenna, though I'd give it only about a 50% chance of success.

Of course, now you're into the cost of several months of your own broadband service that isn't subject to the security issues of using an open public hotspot...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Ignore the message if your system is working. This only applies to data transfer rates and it is unlikely you have an internet connection that is much faster than your wireless connection speed! I'm amazed they don't tell you to buy one of their own products. You could try improving the signal by buying a bigger aerial for the router or making a reflector for it. Have a Google - I made a semi circular reflector that clips on to the router aerial and it's quite good.

Reply to
Ian C

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.