Newbie: Can someone clone your mac address

I have a D-Link DI-524 router. Can someone in the area detect and clone your mac address to gain your access to your internet?

Reply to
Pavel
Loading thread data ...

In article , Pavel wrote: :I have a D-Link DI-524 router. Can someone in the area detect and :clone your mac address to gain your access to your internet?

Yes. And yes even if you are using WEP. WEP does not encrypt MAC addresses.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Yes. If the intruder uses the same MAC address as you, you would get a message box on your screen, being Microsoft generated, it's meaning is not obvious ! If he uses it, when you do not, you would have to examine the logs on your router to discover it. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Does your wireless support WPA security? or WEP? If WEP is all you have use it with open authentication. WEP is not foolproof but it can make it harder for someone to get on your internet. So even if they know your mac address they will also have to figure out your wep key. It takes 5 to 10 meg of data to crack a wep key. WPA is not know to be crackable.......yet

Reply to
Airhead

Thanks for the correction.

nonsensical)

Reply to
Airhead

Taking a moment's reflection, Airhead mused: | | It takes 5 to 10 meg of data to crack a wep key.

Actually it takes 5 to 10 million packets of data to crack a WEP key.

| WPA is not know to be crackable.......yet

WPA-PSK is still vulnerable to dictionary based attacks (as is WEP) which is why it is recommended to you a strong (long and nonsensical) passphrase.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

He would he know what MAC address i have. What would I look for in the logs?

Reply to
Pavel

I have them all, but there is a bug in the firmware (waiting for an update as the most current update isnt any good) so I cant use anything other than WEP as I will drop connections. My ISP says I dont need a firewall since I have my router, but D-Link says the more security features I have enabled on my router, the slower the connection. Right now, there are connection issues with my ISP so and drop in speed is clearly noticable.

Reply to
Pavel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.