newbe help...

Hi, I've been googling for 2 hours now :( Im looking to set-up a open public wifi hotspot (access point).I have a machine running win2k pro I use as a web server and a mp3 store with shoutcast.

Im rambling again:

Question Im looking for some control software something like The Public IP ZoneCD

formatting link
but for windows must be open source or free for none commercial use.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Joker7
Loading thread data ...

Not sure what your question is ????? To create a WiFi hotspot you need to have a Wireless Access Point, router, Internet connection

then - decide how folks will access it, use it, etc... can go from putting up an AP, and let it run, to having to buy time or signin as shown in the ZoneCD product.

Your ZoneCD is just a CD-bootable copy of Linux as shown here

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

Found in about 30 seconds:

Yep. You also had the newsgroup list twice in the header. Are you stoned?

Some clue as to exactly what you're planning to accomplish would be helpful. Also, if you have any existing wi-fi hardware and a budget limit.

See software list at the above URL. Note that most run on Linux, not Windoze.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for your reply.

Ihave Wireless Access Point Router Internet connection

What Im looking for is some control software to control who is using it and what for,limit bandwidth maybe some content filtering.

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

To restore balance to the world Jeff Liebermann wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

Thanks for your reply. . Yep seen

one of my first ports of call.

As you say most are Linux or not free for none commercial use,thats why I asked about windows.

I have Wireless Access Point ,Router ,Internet connection

What Im looking for is some control software to control who is using it and what for,limit bandwidth maybe some content filtering.

Are you sure about "newsgroup list twice in the header"

Chris

formatting link

Reply to
Joker7

Hint: There's a reason that most are Linux based. Users want reliability, which means leaving it on forever and not having it crash. Also the ability to size the system to do just the one task that's needed. Doing that will Linux is easy. Trying to do that with Windoze is umm.... not very easy.

Numbers please? All such devices are not created equal. Linksys WRT54G routers and others can do much of what's needed inside the router with alternative firmware (i.e. DD-WRT, OpenWRT).

Bandwidth limiting (QoS) is usually a feature of the router.

There are various rule sets that can be applied depending one whether you're trying to prioritize on the basis of IP, MAC, source, destination, type of service, etc. Lots of solutions for Linux, but I can't think of any for W2K. Sorry.

Are you sure you just need bandwidth management and not access control? That's the usual problem, where users need some sort of authorization to use the hot spot. That's also the most complicated part of the hot-spot. It's almost always a RADIUS server, which requires installing some SQL database manager.

Yep. Yep. I just checked your original posting header and the newsgroup is listed twice. I just checked your original posting header and the newsgroup is listed twice. Perhaps you're seeing double? Perhaps you're seeing double?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

To restore balance to the world Jeff Liebermann wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

Me feel you may need to put your glasses on: Groups posted to alt.internet.wireless, alt.wireless.internet

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

Well, you're half right. I wasn't wearing my glasses. Giganews (Supernews) rejected my initial response to your posting because alt.wireless.internet is not a valid newsgroup. I wrongly guessed that it puked because it doesn't like duplicated newsgroups, but I didn't notice the creative group name. I just checked Newsguy and Google Groups, and it's also not listed. I also checked your Usenet ISP, and found that alt.wireless.internet is NOT a valid newsgroup.

Please don't invent newsgroup names.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think I would have two areas of "challenge".

#1 - who was accessing it - if it was just open, then no problem, but if it was "restricted" to some local clients.... then how to handle the logistics of a splash screen.

#2 - how much broadband bandwidth was avail to share... and how to "share" it I guess some form of QoS might be involved here, for newer services, but in addition to some kind of throttling per user...

Reply to
ps56k

Most of the "challenge" can be over come with (Access Gateway) for a word, but it's seems impossible to find some thing open source for windows.

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

Search Google for "Windows hotspot". It returns a few packages and services that might be worth investigating. These look useful:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the reply will take a look over the weekend- at the mo trying to sort out why I have zombie group i.e.:alt.wireless.internet.

DNS Redirector is looking a good possible.

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.