New Wireless setup?

Are you using a firewall, like the xp firewall. When you look at your wireless connection does it say firewalled?

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Newby here!

I received for Christmas a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 v5, and a Netgear Wireless PC Card WG511. I made the installation following the enclosed setup instructions. The desktop computer is connected with a cable and the Laptop wirelessly. I made a connection to the internet with the both Desktop and the Laptop. I am able to surf the internet and get Hotmail email with the laptop, but I cannot get my Comcast email. I can even access the Comcast newsgroup.

The error message displayed when I attempt to connect to Comcast email is:

"The server responded with an error. Account: 'Comcast Online', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

I can use a dial-up connection with the laptop and I am able to get to my Comcast email account. I can also get my email with the wired desktop.

Any Ideas, Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John

| > I received for Christmas a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 v5, and a | Netgear | > Wireless PC Card WG511. | > I made the installation following the enclosed setup instructions. The | > desktop computer is connected with a cable and the Laptop wirelessly. I | made | > a connection to the internet with the both Desktop and the Laptop. I am | able | > to surf the internet and get Hotmail email with the laptop, but I cannot | get | > my Comcast email. I can even access the Comcast newsgroup. | >

| > The error message displayed when I attempt to connect to Comcast email is: | >

| > "The server responded with an error. Account: 'Comcast Online', Server: | > 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy | > Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, | > Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90" | >

| > I can use a dial-up connection with the laptop and I am able to get to my | > Comcast email account. | > I can also get my email with the wired desktop. | >

| > Any Ideas, | > Thanks, | > John | | Are you using a firewall, like the xp firewall. When you look at your | wireless connection does it say firewalled? | | |

Yes, Windows firewall is turned on. I just turned it off and it doesn't make a difference. I just using the default no-encryption setup with the new Wireless equipment. I plan to enable some kind of encryption after I get more familiar with this.

I need to correct my previous statement about connecting with dial-up. I can't do that either. Just when connected directly to the Cable Modem can I connect to the mail server. There must be something with Comcast that requires one to log-on while using the direct connection on their Cable Modem??? I would have thought that would be the same thing when connected through a router.

Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John

|| Are you using a firewall, like the xp firewall. When you look at your || wireless connection does it say firewalled? || || || | | Yes, Windows firewall is turned on. I just turned it off and it doesn't make | a difference. | I just using the default no-encryption setup with the new Wireless | equipment. I plan to enable some kind of encryption after I get more | familiar with this. | | I need to correct my previous statement about connecting with dial-up. I | can't do that either. Just when connected directly to the Cable Modem can I | connect to the mail server. There must be something with Comcast that | requires one to log-on while using the direct connection on their Cable | Modem??? | I would have thought that would be the same thing when connected through a | router. | | Thanks, | John |

I just sent myself a test email and it did send, but I cannot receive it on this laptop. Strange!

Reply to
L'l John

Double check and make sure the settings for your email setup on your laptop are the same as your desktop that does connect.

Reply to
Christian

I just have the default settings. No MAC addressing, or no encryption being used. According to the wireless network dialogue, I only have 1 network to choose from and it is the one that I have just set up. I have double and triple checked my email settings and I am positive they are the same on both Desktop and Laptop. The only thing different is the Desktop is connected to the router with a cable and the Laptop is connected wirelessly. I am not having any problem connecting to the Internet with either computer. I can connect to Hotmail through Outlook Express, and I can connect to Comcast News Server for posting and reading newsgroups. I just cannot connect to Comcast email thru the Laptop. I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John

Just want to report that I have found and fixed the problem. I posted to the Comcast forum and someone suggested that I get rid of all my Proxies. I reviewed the error message that I got and noticed that there was reference to AVG POP3 proxy. I went into the settings on my AVG antivirus and found that there was a setting in the email scanner referring to Dial-up connection, changed that to LAN and BINGO! I can not get my email wirelessly on my laptop. Thanks to all who tried to help me with this problem.

John

Reply to
L'l John

Another point do you have MAC addressing turned on in your Netgear, if so turn it off. If you are using WEP or WPA are the encryption numbers the same? Are you sure your laptop is "locked" in to your Netgear i.e.. not connected to a neighbor's house. I ask this because when I first set up my Linksys, I thought I was connected to it because I could get on the internet but I could not receive email, turns out I was connected to a neighbors unprotected box. I also had a mistake in setting up my email settings.

Reply to
Christian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.