New Wireless Router

LinkSys is advertising a new "g" router, the WRT54GX w/SRX. Supposedly it has "up to 3x the range wireless g".

Has anyone had the chance to try one of these out? They are retailing at BestBuy for $199 and have a $20 rebate offer.

TIA

Reply to
Chap
Loading thread data ...

Thanks much Richard!

Reply to
Chap

If you get one, let us know how it works.... LT

------------------------------------

Reply to
LT

Chap wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not tried one, but it's another 'Pre-N' device, that is, released in advance of the forthcoming IEEE 803.11n standard.

Other similar devices are available from Belkin (F5D8230-4)and D-Link (DI-624M).

Since they are non-standard, there is no guarantee that one manufacturer's Pre-N cards will work with another's Pre-N router, although I guess that it may be possible if they are based on the same chipset.

The Belkin and Linksys devices use the Airgo chipset, but I have no info on what's inside the D-Link - but it's likely Atheros based.

There are two consortia / industry groupings (WWiSE, TGn Sync) vying to have their offerings accepted for inclusion in IEEE 802.11n. I'm sure a quick Google will tell you more, but this and

formatting link
" target="_blank">this should give a good flavour.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Richard Perkin wrote in news:Xns95EBA5C1EE5E5fnurdle@130.133.1.4:

Apologies for the HTML syntax - I copied and pasted from something I wote elsewhere and forgot to edit them. Here are two links again:

formatting link
formatting link

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

"LT" wrote in news:CLqdnU9QgKYduGTcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

It's all new kit, so not many people have them yet. Have a look at this thread on BroadbandReports:

From what I've heard and read, the Belkin Pre-N kit has received a very favourable user response.

Me? I'm a great believer in standards, so I'm hanging on until 'real' 802.11n kit becomes available. Did I hear someone say 2006/7? That does a long way off in technology timescales...

And I can confirm that the D-Link DI-624M uses the Atheros AR5005VL wireless chipset - the product is listed on the Atheros site.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

That really killed Apple when they jumped into pre-G, didn't it? Sometimes you need a big "pre-?" player to jump in and force a defacto standard.

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXNewXW.usenet.us.com wrote in news:ctbgmo$d7h$ snipped-for-privacy@blue.rahul.net:

But I'm talking about my decision, not that of a manufacturer :)

And of course the manufacturers have 'jumped', hence the current rash of Pre-N products. I should also have mentioned the Netgear WGM124. So that's Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin - no doubt there'll be a few more players along soon.

I have a substantial home / small business network which uses D-Link "802.11b+" wireless kit and which works very well. I have considered upgrading it to 802.11g, but it would be expensive. So I've decided to wait for 802.11n.

Of course, it's sometimes hard to resist the temptation of technolust, but that's my current intention...

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Cuz many of the b/g wap/routers are only 28mw..... Look at the tech specs for the pre-n ones, they have more output power.

Reply to
Peter Pan

It was easy for me. My 802.11b decided that it doen't want to play with several different machines that happened to be running WinXP for more than a couple of hours. That was okay for visitors, but when I upgraded my laptop, it was time to buy a new router. The card was $19.99, so I thought I'd get that, too. Bonus. It's no faster for browsing the internet via cable modem, but it has better range than my Orinoco.

Amazon.com Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit $71.24 - $25 = 46.24 Router and PCMCIA card that I have.

formatting link

I see online "g" so cheap, I figure that it's being flushed in preparation for some N stuff. The odd thing is that the local stores have b about the same price as online g, and the local g is still as high as it every was, near the two year ago pricing of b.

Reply to
dold

Presumably these new pre-N devices are limited to the same 200mW (100mW in Europe) output, so how on earth can they have as much as 3x the range of current wifi ? Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

"Martin²" wrote in news:41f98dea$0$74273$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

Because of MIMO. Have a look at this white paper:

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Somehow, this all reminds me of the pre-CCITT v.32 USR HST.

Boy, doesn't that seem like a long time ago. :-)

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.