New updates to free popular Java (J2ME) apps (Google Maps & Mail, Opera Mini)

[As tested on my Motorola V551 (with latest firmware)]

v1.4.4 of Google Maps for Mobile

Significantly more stable than recent prior versions -- hasn't yet crashed, and hasn't yet lost history data, but still loses bookmarks unpredictably, so it's still not fully stable. Worth the upgrade, and very useful even with the bookmark issue, but still a work in progress.

v1.1.0 of Google Mail for Mobile

Substantially more stable that v1.0.0 (which crashed frequently) -- hasn't yet crashed, and does an excellent job of handling email. Excellent application. Highly recommended.

v3.0.0 of Opera Mini

Significant update that retains look and feel of prior version. Wouldn't install if I preserved by existing bookmark data, so I had to start over -- may not be worth the update if you've got a lot of bookmarks. Excellent application. Highly recommended.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

John,

With, opera mini do you have to uninstall ver 2 before installing ver 3 or Will ver 3 upgrade prior installs?

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

How's Opera Mini compared to Blazer on a Treo 650?

Reply to
Kurt

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:25:27 GMT, John Navas wrote in :

UPDATE: Now that I've put more stress on GMM, I have to revise my assessment of stability downward: it isn't much (if any) better than other recent versions, and bookmarks are essentially unusable. Reinstalling without retaining saved data did not help. Wish I could revert back to a much earlier version, before bookmark support was added. :(

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:54:11 GMT, "Deputy Dog" wrote in :

I didn't have to uninstall v2 before installing v3, but as I wrote, v3 wouldn't install (due to an error) over v2 when I tried to retain the data from v2 -- I had to _not_ retain the data from v2 to get v3 to install successfully over v2, thereby losing all my bookmarks.

Reply to
John Navas

Works fine for me -never crashes.

Reply to
Kurt

Same here on a Cingular 8125. Works well with the Holux Bluetooth GPS as well.

Don

Reply to
Don Udel (ETC)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:59:11 -0500, "Don Udel \\(ETC\\)" wrote in :

Apples and oranges: The 8125 is a Windows Mobile device, not a standard J2ME handset.

Reply to
John Navas

I can't get 'Track Location' (GPS) to work, can you?

Reply to
Thurman

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:49:51 -0600, "Thurman" wrote in :

Doesn't exist in the standard handset version.

Reply to
John Navas

Opera blows Blazer out of the water. No comparison!!

Have a good one.

3GFreak
formatting link
Reply to
3Gfreak

Cool. thanks for the tip. Will try.\\

Reply to
Kurt

Spoke too soon ...

Issue: Letters can't be entered properly in Add Recipients Search

When trying to Compose mail, using the "To:" control to Add Recipients from Contacts, the Search control doesn't work reliably; e.g., pressing the "3 DEF" key three times in rapid succession (to get the letter "f") sometimes results in "f", but most often results in "ddd" instead. This makes it essentially impossible for me to use the Compose feature.

• Multi-press only seems to only work properly for the first Add Recipients Search letter after Gmail Mobile has been started. From then on it seems to consistently fail unless and until it is restarted.

• I have a great many Contacts (over 600), which might have something to do with the problem.

• Others have reported the same problem.
Reply to
John Navas

Updated again, this time to v3.1.0 Per the Opera Mini blog , some of the most important changes:

New feature:

• Manage RSS feeds

Newly supported devices:

• T-mobile dash * Motorola i275, i850, i860, i870 (iDEN) - we will post more info about this later

Network and connectivity:

• Improved connectivity for devices that are forced to use IP addresses * Improved connectivity for BlackBerry devices that uses the carriers T-Mobile, Cingular and Vodafone * Better connectivity for Samsung and Sprint devices

Rendering fixes:

• Better text rendering for Samsung BlackJack SGH-i607 * Improved memory handling when using high quality images * New dialog window * Fixed overlapping texts in menu bar * Fixed menu bar height for letters with diacritic marks * Fixed favicon alignment

Input and key event fixes:

• Dismissing dialogs works better on Motorola's * Fixed smooth scrolling for LG CU320 * Soft key fix for Phillips 362 * Various fixes for UIQ3 devices * Fixed issue with going back when holding the back key on Sony Ericsson devices (easier to enter the native minimize menu) * Better key handling for Alcatel GlamPhone and OT-C750

Snapshot fixes:

• Sony Ericsson Z520 - multiple permission dialogs fixed and better resolution * Various Nokia models - stability improvements for snapshot previews * Motorola A780 - made viewfinder visible again

Other fixes:

• Fixed page loading errors for Sprint phones using Opera Mini Basic * ... and many more
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.