New to wireless questions

After 15 years of 2-3 kbs download speeds we finally have the option of getting cable internet through Charter in St. Louis and instead of renting the modem and router for $10 a month I would like to purchase my own but I'm new to this equipment and looking for any suggestions.

I checked on Newegg and I think the Linksys WRT54GL router along with the D-link DCM 202 modem will do the trick but not sure? I plan to have my computer as the main and the wife and daughters pickup through a network card and not sure which network card to choose from. Also if it makes any difference on the equipment I would like to play around with the DirecTV on demand feature sometime in the future.

My system consist of a Asus P3B-F MB, Intel slot 1 P3 1gig CPU, 512 MB PC

133 SDRAM, Win XP

Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Rick

Reply to
rick
Loading thread data ...

Check with Charter for a list of acceptable modems; some ISPs have a list of modems known to work with their service.

Reply to
William Andersen

Connect all 3 PCs directly to the Linksys router, since that is more robust and easier to manage than using your PC as a router; as a side benefit, you won't need a second NIC on your PC. And, using wired connections to the router is a bit faster and a lot more secure; if you use wireless, then use the strongest encryption that that (or those) PCs support.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Is it common for ISPs to rent the modems? I know it's part of the bill one way or another but I don't know that my cable company would lower my bill if I had my own modem. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Buy your own gear. Pick 'em up used off fleabay to save money.

It's never a bargain to rent anything this basic from a carrier. Something more complex, like a DVR, might be but even that has room for debate.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Yes, but, Is it common for ISPs to rent the modems? I know it's part of the bill one way or another but I don't know that my cable company would lower my bill if I had my own modem.

Reply to
amdx

Yes it is pretty common. I expect it to be on your itemized monthly bill, if you get one; if not, ask your ISP.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Special Thanks to all for your replies, I plan on purchasing the Linksys router and stuck between the D-link DCM 202 and the Motorola SB 5101 modem but from what I gather both will serve well. Yes Charter does have an additional charge for additional equipment, $3 for modem and $9.99 for modem and router combo which they claim is about $110 retail!

As I stated earlier I'm new to broadband but been cruising computer related NG's for many years 'junkie' kinda slacked off between Win98 & XP but still true in heart.

Thanks n Cheers, Rick

Reply to
rick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.