new to wireless and confused

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 on a Thinkpad portable using WPA security.

When I go out to a cafe, I sometimes try to find an open network by clicking on the wireless icon in the taskbar and choosing show available networks.

This will usually provide me with a list of available networks in my area and also will tell me which are secured and which are not. I choose one that is not secured and click connect. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just says it's acquiring the network address forever.

My real problem is that when I return home and I go to connect to my own wireless network, I have to put in all 20+ digits of my WPA security code again. How do I connect to another network, come back to my own, and not have to re-enter my WPA all over again each time?

I also notice that the other networks I've tried, successful connections or not, have been added to "preferred networks" and I have to remove them to connect at all.

Is this normal windows XP behavior and is there any way around it?

TIA

Louise

Reply to
louise
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.