New Rule of Thumb

Came to this conclusion last night...a real good rule of thumb:

Belkin is Broken

4 out of 6 belkin hubs installed at the holiday inn i work for...mysteriously broken...just stop working after a few months...one at a time just goes out. Installing a netgear works perfectly.

2 different belkin routers, each at different locations...mysteriously stop routing. dhcp works, internal network traffic works...but ping yahoo.com or msn.com...nothing. restored factory default settings...nothing. upgrade firmware...nothing. install linksys...everything

so remember guys

BELKIN IS BROKEN

smowk

Reply to
Smowk
Loading thread data ...

I am not a great fan of Belkin but I have my issues with NetGear and maybe even more with LinkSys (I buy mostly NetGear if they make what I want.)

Could be, but they might be different types of hubs or even bad cabling (that got change accidentally at the same time).

A ping failure without understanding it or even trying tracert is not sufficiently specific to blame anything.

Reply to
Herb Martin

"Herb Martin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

nope...I'M the only one who messes with the hubs or cabling, and nothing was changed

when you cant ping the computer next to you, dhcp or not, usually means belkin is broken.

Reply to
Smowk

Generally yes, but that is not a absolute. Personal Firewalls, bad cables, bad Nic in the target machine can all stop the ping without it being the belkin device.

[ppssst! still speaking to me, Herb? :-), it's ok,...be cool]
Reply to
Phillip Windell

Of course -- I am even surprised to find the question.

I drop topics when they get boring or fruitless, not people.

You should see the crazies I answer in some of the 'policitcal' groups.

And I always do so without resorting to profanity

Reply to
Herb Martin

"Phillip Windell" wrote in news:# snipped-for-privacy@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

the cables were the same, the nics were the same, the computers were the same

belkin broken linksys working

tried again

tried again

tried again

tried again

tried again

tried again

hmmmm...maybe the belkin does work

Reply to
Smowk

Just wanting to make sure. I've had a "spell" of everyone being ticked at me for one thing or another lately.

You should see the trouble I get in for being "political" in the groups over what I considered a "playful side-comment". See the thread "Did Anti-spyware Vendor Cave In?" over in the "ms.public.security group".

Reply to
Phillip Windell

Naught

Reply to
Herb Martin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.