New Cable/DSL Broadband SpeedTest and Forums **Now Open**

Looking for a broadband speed test that works reliably at high speeds anywhere in the country? Need help for hardware, software, anything cable or dsl related or drivers and utilities? ISPgeeks offers so much more than that with no banners, no ads and no begging for your money in any way whatsoever. The site is non-commercial, privately funded by someone who just got tired of the way people are treated in virtually ALL of the other places similar in type. Feel safe in knowing your questions will be answered quickly and without making you feel like an idiot (like many sites do). Our moderators and site admin are all currently working in the technology industry in some form of support capacity so rest assured you will get the very best advice!

Come help make ISPgeeks.com THE place to come for help in all things technology related. We are also looking for additional site admin and moderators so if you think you have what it takes please inquire.

formatting link
Free Hardware and Software Support Free Broadband Speed Test Free Web Hosting (no banners, no popups, NO JOKE!) Free Music Streams (1 Office Safe, 1 Not Office Safe) No Banners, No Popups, No Advertising of ANY Type Register today and help us show the rest just how Support Websites are supposed to work!
formatting link
Access the Broadband Speedtest directly at

formatting link
(upon instant FREE registration)

Reply to
ISPgeek
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:28:25 -0500, "ISPgeek" wrote in :

No such thing, due to the vagaries of Internet routing. Best to use a good test (many aren't good) that's close to you in network terms. My own favorite local site is .

Reply to
John Navas

Wow! Have you actually tried the test? I don't remember seeing your IP come across our test stats but I tell ya what..cmon over and let Chocolate know who you are and we will just see how bad that test is.... Before making such a statement PLEASE take a moment and try it for yourself.

Thanks

ISPgeek

formatting link

Reply to
ISPgeek

Just so that you know. We spent many weeks finding a suitable host that we feel offers most people very reasonable results regardless how fast or slow their advertised connection is. We certified the test using every major ISP from key locations throughout the USA and in Canada with equally satisfactory results. Had you taken a moment to register and actually take the test you would have seen that we explain in great detail how speed tests work and how they should be used and how best they should use our test.

Reply to
ISPgeek

"ISPgeek"

| Just so that you know. We spent many weeks finding a suitable | host that we feel offers most people very reasonable results regardless | how fast or slow their advertised connection is. We certified the test | using every major ISP from key locations throughout the USA and in | Canada with equally satisfactory results. Had you taken a moment | to register and actually take the test you would have seen that we explain | in great detail how speed tests work and how they should be used and | how best they should use our test.

I'm curious just how did you manage to quantify, account for and calibrate all of the myriad variables in the internet?

Reply to
NotMe

Once again....another who has not gone to the site, registered, read the speedtest explanation and usage suggestions. Please just take a moment and try it out.

If you had actually gone and tried it yourself you would see that we explain what a speedtest is, how it should be used and the fact that it should only be used as a loose benchmark for diagnosing possible problems. Now....if you have actually gone to the site and have any questions please post them in the forums there. We'll be happy to chat with you about it.

Cheers

Reply to
ISPgeek

"ISPgeek" hath wroth:

I'm curious about your munged email address of: From: "ISPgeek" which seems to decode into: No Spam No WISP Geeks I used to run a WISP. Could you explain what you have against wireless ISP's?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oh geez....nothing at all Jeff....I am correcting that just for you! I'm sorry if anyone was offended. Wasn't intentional. Never even crossed my mind.

Reply to
ISPgeek

Is this better?

Reply to
ISPgeek

"ISPgeek" hath wroth:

No problem. I was just curious as this is a wireless newsgroup.

I just registered for access to your site. Quite easy. However, I'm still waiting (after about 40 mins) for the confirmation email, so I can't try your speed tester.

I couldn't find a privacy policy or statement anywhere on the web site. Nothing found with the search thing. You really should get one so one can be fairly sure your site doesn't just collect email addresses for spammers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank you for mentioning the privacy policy. That is in the works and to sum it up simple and quick. Your email address will stay private and will not be sold to or used by anyone for anything.

You have the option of opting in or out of our newsletter which doesn't even exist yet so no worries there. As for your confirmation email it is possible that your ISP treated it as spam because of the way it was sent. Check your spam folder and get right back to me and if needed I will reset you that way you can try again. I honestly want to know what speedtest results you all get. This will help us determine if we need to add yet another server to cover those who for whatever reason have problems with our existing. So your input is highly valued!

Reply to
ISPgeek

"ISPgeek" hath wroth:

Well, ok.

Nothing arrived or found in my spam trap. I run my own mail server and filters so I'm fairly sure it didn't arrive. I'll try again with a different email address..... Yep, that worked almost instantly.

The first page offers to read headlines from a long list of sites. Every one that I tried returns either a 404 error, or some other error message. Oh well.

Trying the "Cable" speed test, I find that it's really "VinDSL Bandwidth Meter" from:

formatting link
PHP-Nuke CMS using Javascript. Not a bad choice but as I recall, it maxes out rather quickly.

Oops... while I was looking at VinDSL docs, your site timed me out. My guess is about 3 minutes. I logged back in successfully, but methinks you have yet another problem.

Well, it shows my DSL connection at 905.9Kbits/sec. No numbers for upload speed? Yech. Retesting results in 848Kbits/sec.

Testing locally with my ISP, I get 1300Kbits/sec down and 265Kbits/sec up.

formatting link
there's a bit of constipation in the pipe between your servers and my PC as John Navas mentioned. Let's check.

C:\\>tracert martin.nocdirect.com Tracing route to martin.nocdirect.com [69.73.188.120]

Not too horrible, but there appears to be a rather big hickup inside of PCCW Global Peering. This is typical of what you can expect to see going between me in California and you in Houston, Texas(???). You get fast response inside the ISP's at both ends, but bog down at the ISP peering points. That will affect any bandwidth benchmark tests. You can be faster than the proverbial speeding fiber at each end, but if there's no private peering, it's gonna slow down.

What can I say? You need to do some work on the site and tone done the claims of superior bandwidth testing. Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'm concerned about the page not found errors. You are the only person to report this. As for Vin maxing out quickly, I wouldn't say that....

TEST IS ACCURATE FOR ANY USA LOCATION

Your current bandwidth reading is:

12.28 Mbps

Which means you can download at 1.53 MB/sec. from our servers

28.8 kbps Dial-up 28.8k 33.6 kbps Dial-up 33.6k 53.3 kbps Dial-up 56k 256.0 kbps DSL 256k 384.0 kbps Cable 384k 640.0 kbps DSL 640k 768.0 kbps Cable 768k 1500.0 kbps DSL/Cable 1.5 Mbps 1544.0 kbps Full T1 1.544 Mbps 3000.0 kbps N x T1 3.0 Mbps 6000.0 kbps T3 6.0 Mbps 12577.3 kbps YOU

Retest Close

FOR BEST RESULTS TAKE 3 TESTS AND USE AVERAGE OF RESULTS

begin 666 1.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`/`+,``/_=W?_2T?_5U?_;V__8V?_4U/_:VO_6U?_3T__6U__2 MTO_8V/_>WO_

Reply to
ISPgeek

And the rest can be accounted for as I'm in the middle of downloading site archives from another server. I've seen results easily 14.5 and I have a 15/2 connection. Others have also reported the same. Now back to this page not found error...when where and what?

I just had two others go through every link in the site and so far nothing...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
ISPgeek

"ISPgeek" hath wroth:

I login to your site. The "personal page" includes a section titled "My Headlines". In this section is "Select a Web Site". When I pick: FreeDos I get: Encountered a 404 Error in the box titled "Headlines from FreeDos".

"Learning Linux" works. "Linux Central" works. "Happy Penguin" works. "BSD Today" results in a timout error after about 15 seconds. "PDABuzz" results in: Currently there is a problem with headlines from this site and so on. "Newsforge" results in the same error.

I previously tried about 4 sites and gave up. I guess I picked 4 that didn't work. I'm too lazy to try them all.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

A few more problems. I'm using FireFox 2.0. Checking the: Tools -> Error Console I find some minor error messages from your site. Most are duplicates of the following:

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'cursor'. Declaration dropped. Source File:

formatting link

Warning: Unknown property 'filter'. Declaration dropped. Source File:

formatting link

Warning: Unrecognized at-rule or error parsing at-rule '@font-face'. Source File:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Fixed! Thank you for taking the time to do that. This site would have been ready and online a month ago, however I did something very stuuupid with the database and well...it was ugly and of course me thinking it would never happen to me I had not done a backup in quite some time. Since I had a deadline of before Christmas I have taken a couple of shortcuts....and overlooked a couple of things....this was one of them.

Although you were kinda harsh on the speedtest your feedback is important. I am reviewing your previous posts to see where we can make some changes. The test can reasonably test up to 18mbps. That we do know...we've done it. My tests at home routinely range between 12.5 and 14.5. Tests from California (Salinas to be exact) and also Seattle resulted in spot on results as well (these were known excellent connections with no known issues). I was born and raised in Salinas and surrounding area btw. Spent many a day at the boardwalk and up at Mt. Madonna.

Reply to
ISPgeek

Yea I see that. That's gonna take some time to look into. Since they are just warnings and the site does not seem to be impacted. I'm not a FF freak but nonetheless it is an issue we will need to look into. I have the complete log of errors here (just ran FF) and will address them as I can over the next few days.

Again I do appreciate the input.

Reply to
ISPgeek

Now back to the speed test. Yes you are correct it is Vins module....hence the link at the bottom. It's good stuff and better than anything else out there that I tried and tested for this type of site. Our goal is to give a reasonable bench from which people can decide if they have problems that need to be dealt with or not... We also tested it on numerous servers throughout the country (at my expense...) and ultimately opted for the same company that Vin uses. The problem with most of the other small sites doing this is that their host throttles them horribly. The highest test result we could get from virtually all of the hosts tested didn't exceed 5mbps which really surprised the hell outta me. Anyway...once we have the benchmark we can assist them with the troubleshooting part. Most of the admin level staff here work for at least one of the major ISP's in the area so they know their snit. Combine the test results with a handy dandy tracert and some modem stats and we can normally work around any issue.

Reply to
ISPgeek

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:55:58 -0500, "ISPgeek" wrote in :

Yes.

I don't have just one IP.

I've tried it, and it works quite well.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.