Networking w/ D-link, Windows ME, and Time Warner Cable

I am not having any luck setting up my network. I have the right equipment and follow all of the insturctions. When I connect my modem to the router and the router to the CPU, it comes up with a no connection error - I can't connect to AOL or anyother browser. When I disconnect the router and put everything back the way it was before, I still get the connection error. My only solution is to do a system restore on my CPU for it to go back to the way it was. Is this problem caused by the D-link software, Windows ME, AOL, or Time Warner, or all of the above???

Reply to
adeleon648
Loading thread data ...

On 6 Mar 2007 01:29:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in :

It's probably cockpit error. ;) Did you power cycle the cable modem and then the router? Does your router show a connection to cable Internet on its status page? What do you get when you run WINIPCFG on the computer (exact output)? What did you change on the computer so it won't work when directly connected? Why are you still running (yuk) Windows ME?

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1173173383.373075.86630 @v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Cable Modem CA5 ---> Router WAN port Router LAN Port ---> PC Network Card.

The LAN IP of the D-Link is probably 192.168.1.1, and the Rtr is probably defaulted to DHCP.

Power down the cable modem & the rtr & your PC.

Turn on the cable modem only. Wait for the Cable Link to come on solid.

Power-up the router. Wait a minute, then power up the PC.

The modem MUST be power cycled after changing the device connected to it. So if you put a router between the PC and modem, the modem needs to be power-cycled AFTER the router is added. If you put it back, the modem needs to be power-cycled again.

So now, when all is said and done, if you can get to the rtr config page thru a browser, you're half way there.

If a web page does not come up in the browser, try to ping an address from a cmd prompt...try: ping 24.48.33.2 (that's just an IP I know off- hand).

If the ping returns successful, there is an issue with the router DHCP passing the DNS address back to the PC. I have seen this on a few different routers. It will hand out IP's, but not DNS. You can look at the router's 'status' page or whatever it is and see what it has in it for DNS if you have to manually configure one. (Incidentally the

24.48.33.2 address is a DNS server as well, it was an old Adelphia server, circa 1999, that while it's not passed out anymore by the Adel/TW system, it seems to still be a valid DNS.)

Come to think of it, in WindowsME, do you have to config the PC separately for IP thru DHCP & individually DNS from DHCP ?

(Personally, for a very small home network, static IP's work just fine, plus, there are no DHCP issues then.)

Regards,

DanS

Reply to
DanS

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have an old dlink 604 router. I find their tech support is great. 1-800-

361-5265. Also my router has a reset on the back. You need a paper clip to reset. Of course you loose any special settings you have done. Bob
Reply to
Bob Hughes

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:27:13 -0500, Bob Hughes wrote in :

Please be more carefully with your snipping, quoting and attribution -- there's no material from me in that quote.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.