Networking Over Mains

Has anyone any experience of this ? Any pitfalls to catch the novice using this technology ? I'm proposing this as a solution (using devices ADSL-SAR-804P & PL-14PE). The house has 18 inch stone walls obstructing wireless. Compatibility + security are an issue for me. I realise security is less likely to be an issue than wireless, but you never can tell what your neighbours get up to.

Thanks

eric

-- Remove the dross to contact me directly

Reply to
Eric Parker
Loading thread data ...

Don't know if they make a version for the UK (my guess of where you are given 'mains' & 'neighbours'), but I'm using Belkin Powerline Ethernet Adapters very successfully here in the US. I haven't measured actual throughput, but supposedly you can get 14mpbs. If you run windows, you can set

56bit DES encryption on your power net with the supplied software, otherwise, you just plug it in and it works. (My understanding of these devices is that the signal will not cross the step-down transformer connecting your house with the distribution lines (assuming they do wiring that way there), so I don't even bother with encryption here since it would be a pain to get a windows machine up anyway).

Ted

Reply to
Anonymous

They do.

So the theory goes. I've seens various comments on this, some from supposed electronic experts mind you, mostly along the lines of "why not?" :-)

Depends on your location. Sometimes an entire street is on a single phase at +240V, sometimes not. Certainly I'd expect people in flats (thats apartments for you furriners) to be on a common supply. Hmm, this might be an interesting wat to provide a hotspot in a block of flats...

So someone could sneak up to your garden shed, plug in their lappy and steal your internet connection ? :-)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.