Networking a Hot Spot.

The complex in which I live in offers free wireless internet. I have 2 PCs; both of which use a wireless USB adapter.

My question here is... how do I build a wired network with my two PCs (for fast file transfer) and still use the wireless internet? I've tired adding a wireless router to the mix (one that I had before my complex offered free wireless), but the when I do that file sharing works, but I lose the internet connection as it's trying to use the internet connection from my wireless router.

I there a way for PC(A) to get internet via the wireless network of the complex via a USB adpater, and then connect PC(B) to PC(A) to share the internet and files?

Reply to
silversting
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

You can use cheap 5-port Ethernet switch while your two PCs should have Ethernet cards, then you can share files and printers between the two PCs. No need for routers in this solution.

Your wireless router will not be able to access the complex wireless network, you need to have a wireless Access Point with bridging like ZyXEL G-3000H and your wireless provider should be able to support that setup.

G-3000H can talk (wireless) with your PCs from one side and the complex wireless network from the other side at the same time.

Panda.

formatting link

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Panda

If you turn off DHCP in the router, it should stop identifying itself as a gateway. There might be other things that could be done, depending on the model of unspecified router that you are using.

Windows PCs should auto-assign addresses to the LAN connection, so they should be able to connect to each other. Or you could do static configuration on each of them.

You could run a crossed cable between the two PCs and skip the router altogether.

Reply to
dold
2 Questions...

1) If I add a switch would I still need them to both have separate connections (USB Adapters) or does the switch share the connection?

2) If I connect the two PC via a cross-cable, does file sharing work the same as with a switch or router?

Thanks for the help!

router, it should stop identifying itself as a

Reply to
silversting
2 Questions...

1) If I add a switch would I still need them to both have separate connections (USB Adapters) or does the switch share the connection?

2) If I connect the two PC via a cross-cable, does file sharing work the same as with a switch or router?

Thanks for the help!

router, it should stop identifying itself as a

Reply to
silversting

If you added a $10 switch or hub, you would have two PCs able to communicate only with each other via that switch. The same might be true if you disable DHCP in the router that you have.

By default, Windows PCs will auto-assign an IP address if they can't find a DHCP server. The address might be different each time they boot, but NetBIOS should still find them by name.

formatting link
The PCs would each reach the internet separately via the building WiFi.

The cable would be the same as a hub or switch.

This is possibly different from a router, which is what you have now that's not working because it is making itself look like a default gateway.

Reply to
dold

Thanks for all your help guys!

My situation has changed a little, as today I moved my PC into the living room and realized that the PC actually gets little recpetion, and I'd like to get internet to my xbox. So I've started a new thread where hopefully you guys can help me out again! ;o) This time I'd like to share the connection from one main PC!

New Post:

formatting link

Reply to
silversting

On 26 Nov 2006 19:03:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Most of us don't use Google, so please give us either the starting Article Id or the exact Subject.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.