Networked hard drive

I have a 120gig drive in one of those external enclosures.

It connects to my main pc (which is connected to my linksys wireless router via ethernet cable) via a usb 2 cable.

I have a laptop which connects wirelessly via the router to both the internet, and the shared 120gig drive.

Obviously, I can only connect to the shared drive when the main PC is turned on.

It would be really convenient if I could somehow have the external drive attached to the router, so I always have acces to it, even if the main PC is off.

I have 3 or 4 free ethernet sockets on the back of the router.

Any ideas how/if I can do this.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Evil Uncle Chris
Loading thread data ...

Have you looked at any of the drive enclosures they sell at places like best buy? (inside place an IDE drive, back of the cabinet has a ethernet jack and plugs right into your wap/router thing...

Here's one I pulled up...

formatting link
Netgear Storage Central Network Hard Drive Enclosure

Model: SC101

When you need to add on some extra storage to your network, don't be limited by a fixed gigabyte amount. With this hard drive enclosure, you can easily add internal drives of any capacity (not included) to your network and change to larger capacities when needed without fuss. Take a product tour of the Netgear SC101 Storage Central. (Flash demo) Easily insert up to two internal 3.5" ATA6 or higher IDE hard drives of any capacity (not included) for extra networked storage

Configures quickly with Smart Wizard install assistant to any 10/100 Mbps Ethernet or wireless router

Stores and mirrors important digital content, such as music, games, photos, documents and more

Sounds like what you asked about.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Something like this, maybe? $70 or so at newegg.

formatting link
formatting link
which is also a Wifi router.

Reply to
dold

Look for a Linksys NSLU2. It has 2 usb ports (for your drives) and an ethernet connection, to get it on your network. Nice little unit. You can also access your drives (files) over the internet if you like....

Reply to
gene martinez

I'd read this first.

formatting link

Reply to
me here

That link didnt work for some reason....try again.

formatting link

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Grrr...bloody newsreader putting a para break in for some reason....one more go. If it doesnt work again try a cut and paste into word and remove line break.

formatting link

Reply to
me here

These user reviews may be of interest also.

formatting link
Seems pretty variable....with a few NTFS problems.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Seconded. I have one - nice piece of kit - and you can have even more fun with it - if you want as well :

formatting link

Reply to
Shaun Palmer

I also have the LinkSys. It is been serving its purpose flawlessly. Also, when shopping for a NAS unit (Network Added Storage) the Netgear unit has recently gotten flack as to compatibility of hard drives. So make sure you explore that limitation.

Reply to
PDA Man

Surrounding a long URL with < and > should work in most newsreaders.

Reply to
dold

Thanks for that one.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.