network (& wifi) primer needed

Greetings,

1st, I'd like to ask if there's a good on-line primer or even a book that can bring a novice (or someone who's been out of touch for a couple of decades) up to at least a walking speed on networks in general and wireless networking in particular. I actually found dealing with serial modems and CPM or the old MS-DOS easier to handle than the vague, 'tell us what you want; we'll guess at what you really mean & do something that's invisible to you' "help" files in XP.

2nd, I need info (like on setting up & adding a 2nd router/access point, using a Cantenna or other directional antenna, to an existing wired/wireless network. The existing wireless router needs to stay in service; I have run cat-5 wire to the 'cantenna' location (needed to get around trees/buildings). Will I need to manually set IP addresses, etc in the new router/access point?

3rd, my hope is to set up a dedicated 'wireless range extender' like the Linksys WRE54G or similar product at the aim-point of the cantenna to allow 2 or 3 computers to wirelessly find their way to the internet.

Distance between the 2 'networks' is around 800 feet. The cantenna will be shooting a 'line' 30 degrees, more or less, off the line back to the original router.

Any obvious rf interference issues?

Any practical way to hide the files on the 2 'networks' from the other network, but allow sharing within each 'network'?

Is there any way to get past XP's patronizing 'help' to see what it needs to make something work?

Thanks for your indulgence,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie
Loading thread data ...

Sure. I was just reading a fairly basic tutorial slide show on the Veriwave web pile. I like it:

Intel also has a primer for hot spot operators that was inadvertently (or stupidly) deleted from their web site. I saved a copy at:

Don't tell Intel that I'm illegally redistributing their copyrighted documentation and soliciting others to do the same.

There's plenty more tutorials, but that should get you started on the path to righteousness and wi-fi nirvana.

Sorry. The stone age of computing is over. It's not coming back. CP/M and the command line may be carried along as baggage for many years, but their utility was long ago marginalized into specialty applications. Besides, I never could get used to PIP having the source and destination arguments backwards.

Sorry, can't help you. You managed to leave out any clues as to what hardware you have to work with. In order to answer your questions, one needs to know:

1. What you are trying to accomplish. One sentence is fine. Don't forget numbers such as how far, how fast, and how much.
  2. What you have to work with. Equipment, model numbers, operating system, versions, etc.
  3. If you're having a problem, what have you done so far and what happened. Error messages.

You also managed to muddle your terms. A cantenna is not a radio. It's a type of antenna and is connected to the radio with a very lossy coaxial cable. You cannot substitute CAT5 for the coax cable. You can mount the radio on or inside the cantenna, and use CAT5 to supply data and power to the assembly.

Such range extenders, repeaters, and such are in my never humble opinion a total waste of time and money. All they do is double the amount of air time consumed in moving a packet from here to there. Due to the lack of clear definition and testing, most repeaters and range extenders have serious compatibility problems and will not work with all access points or clients.

800ft will require directional antennas on at least one end of the link. With a 30 degree bend, you might look into a "sector antenna". Such an antenna has a beamwidth of 90 to 120 degrees depending on design and construction. See:

The other antennas can be more directional as they only need to be aimed at one point.

How should I know? Wi-Fi and interference hate each other. If you have neighbors nearby, or a municipal wireless network nearby, you're going to have interference. A better question is "do you have line of sight"? My guess is you don't or you wouldn't be asking about repeaters.

This has nothing to do with wireless internet. Maybe someone else can explain how Windoze XP security works.

Yes. I never use the MS help thing. I use Google to search for clues on the internet. Sometimes it finds stuff on the various Microsoft web sites, developer sites, blogs, and such. More often, it finds someone else who has had exactly the same problem and has either successfully found the answer, or given up in disgust. Sometimes there is far too much information and I have to sift through the garbage to find the one true answer. It's like: Data is free. Information, you have to work for. Anyway, try Google or one of the other search engines.

True. I just indulged in some sushi for dinner. Yummmmmm....

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Suggest you have a look at:-

formatting link

>
Reply to
kev

Don't want to go back; just wish that Macrosoft was a step forward. :-)

Sorry for the bad phrasing.

Existing network at neighbor's house (DSL is about 800 feet out of range for me): DSL>wired/wireless router. Added: >cat-5 to outbuilding where new wireless device feeding Cantenna will be located to achieve line-of-site to the back deck on my house. I currently have available Motorola WR850G & CompUSA branded 802.11G (no model #) routers but I'm willing to purchase better/more suitable components, if needed.

Understood; see above. Bad choice of words in 1st post.

Understood, but this is for 1Meg DSL internet access; if I can get it to work then giving up 1/2 the bandwidth on a 'G' wireless link doesn't matter to me. Would another type of wireless device at this point be better, given the need to feed both my house & my shop from the deck location (see below)? Wire from deck into house is easy, but it would be nice to have wireless for laptops in the house. Wire to my shop is less easy, but do-able if required.

The 30 degree issue is related to the original router radiating 'omni' pattern and the future Cantenna-equipped wireless device to feed me being beyond & offset to one side of the line between my deck & his house. My concern is the Cantenna signal interfering with his existing wireless network in his house. ` my shop ` ` 100' ` ` my deck ` my house ` 800' ` his outbuilding (cantenna location) ` 50' ` his house ` (existing omni wireless)

Obviously, no scale but this is the idea. Not shown are trees, other buildings, etc that limit LOS choice to: his outbuilding>my deck.

Thanks again for any assistance.

Reply to
Charlie

thanks; will do that.

Reply to
Charlie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.