Network Printer Prob

I have a Asus Router 500g and have setup my printer on the router using the print setup wizard. I use the network totally wireless, the printer is a Brother 5150D. When I try printing over the wireless link now the printer prints out a lot of grabaled sheets and can't get anything to come through the network. But if I plug the printer directly into the laptop it works ok. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

Is the Brother 5150D supported by your router's printserver ? I've discovered (the hard way) that not all printers will work on printservers.

If your printer has "clever" print drivers that do stuff like check inklevels, pop up progress monitors etc, then you can probably forget about using it on a printserver. If your printer is a MFD, then forget about it three times. It probably won't print, scan or fax...

My only suggestion is to buy a printer that the printserver maker supports. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Many MFD (e.g., HP OfficeJet) will work as a printer on a generic printserver even when scan and fax aren't supported.

Reply to
John Navas

If a print job is being sent to the printer, but the printer is printing garbage, I would suspect that the print driver on the computer sending the job was either the wrong driver or corrupted.

Reply to
Jerry Park

WADR the guy has a router, laptop, printer as do I. Where does "printserver" enter in?

You prolly know much more than I, so please comment. , You set up printer from computer, not router. A "print setup wizard" must be on a computer, so first I'd do it again.

I know nil about the Brother model, so no idea if it's a missing driver prob. No mention of OS or laptop brand/spec.

Brad

Reply to
avalanche*

Theres a builtin print server in the Asus 500g, I'm assuming that he wanted to use that.

The only thing thats unclear to me is whether the printserver is USB or parallel. I strongly suspect its parallel, since the USB port is for a webcam or audio system (??) though this may depend on whether its the basic or deluxe model.

Asus' website is shockingly useless in this respect, and they don't even seem to provide a list of compatible printers which would be a good hint.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I'm on XP, P3, 512 Mb Ram got a Dell. I'm going to try that again with the setup printer and then try it on the network argh.

Tried that and it's still thowing out junk I have it set to RAW and Port

9101 as suggested but the damn thing still prints nonsese.. Argh help....

Reply to
Jason

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.