network monitor tool

I just started internet service with my cities wifi network. It's 19.99 a month compared to Time Warner for $55/month. It's suppose to be 1M up and down.

I'm using a bridge to receive with a router/ap to send it wirelessly through the house.

I'd like to monitor the network for downtimes and was curious about a tool to do this.

What tool is out there that allows me to ping a web site or the geteway periodically and log times where the ping is not returned?

thanks

Dave

Reply to
dave
Loading thread data ...

Wireless monitoring is so much fun.

The easiest is something like FreePing:

It just pings a host and tabulates the results. There are plenty of others available.

At the other end of the complexity spectrum, I use MRTG and RRDTool graphing with PingProbe to plot the latency on a graph.

Ping latency is the least that can be monitored. Much more interesting is traffic in both directions and any SNMP OID's or scripts. There's also:

Plenty more under "network monitoring tools".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks again!!

Reply to
dave

You might take a look as Servers Alive @

formatting link
GREAT program I've been using it for years. Does all you want and much much more... Many different ways of sending alarm.. Logs and workes well with syslogd.

Reply to
gene martinez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.