Network did not assign an address

This annoyance happened on two of my SP2 updates. Open TCP/IP properties of the problem connection, navigate to TCP/IP filtering, change all instances of Permit None to Permit All. Leave Enable Filtering checked until you know that the connection is fixed.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar
Loading thread data ...

I upgraded my laptop's windows XP with service pack 2 and I lost my wireless network. I get an error message

"Limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not addign a network address to the computer"

The wireless network still works fine with another computer, a desktop, in another room.

I tried to have windows "repair" the problem but when I try Windows reports that it was not successful.

I am using a netgear wireless access point (MA111) and netgear router (MR814v2)

Can anyone help me get my wireless connection back?

Reply to
Bill Babakian

"Quaoar" wrote in news:arOdneDEK-fZUD3cRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

All three boxes for filtering had "Permit All" checked. However, the box labeled "Enable filtering" was unchecked. I checked it and restarted the computer.

The wireless still doesn't work. (My signal strength is excellent)

I uninstalled the wireless adapter software and reinstalled it. Still no luck.

Any ideas???

Reply to
Bill Babakian

Bill Babakian wrote in news:Xns95A86E3D09410Billbabakianattnet@167.206.3.3:

What IP is the machine getting? If the IP has the 169 IP assigned, then you have an IP that will allow the machine to access the machines on the LAN. But the IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet. If the 169.IP is being assigned, then you may have some kind of mis-configuration issue.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Same problem, tho not now. How do I open TCP/IP properties,etc. My helpful (the Winbook or XP?) HELP search said open Network Connections, which I did...then Incoming Connections, which I don't see/can't find.

Reply to
avalanche

I think you have a typo above as you list the same ip group for working and not working.. :)

Reply to
gene martinez

snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eclipse.net:

No, it's not an error. The 169 IP is assigned to the NIC for the computer if the computer cannot get an IP assigned to it from a DHCP server such as the one in the router. The O/S not necessarily pertaining to a XP O/S will assign itself the 169 IP so that it can still communicate with other machines on the LAN. But since the IP used by the computer is not a DHCP IP or a static IP on the router, it's not an IP that's going to allow the machine to access the Internet.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I'm having almost the exact same problem, except I'm using a

non-wireless router, and I've had Windows SP 2 for about 1 month now

with no problems. My IP address does have 169 in front of it, is there

some way to fix this?

Reply to
Mr_Freezie

Will resetting the TCP/IP stack delete any files or anything important?

Reply to
Mr_Freezie

important? No, just do the ipconfig /release then an Ipconfig /renew at the command prompt

Reply to
Airhead

Mr_Freezie wrote in news:1103904906.ac13a30dd96c2112d758aa6add525046@teranews:

You'll have to reset the TCP/IP stack on XP if you cannot get the 169 IP to release by doing IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew or it doesn't release when doing a re-boot of the machine.

formatting link
You should try to determine what caused the O/S to assign the 169 IP. It could be a bad NIC, CAT 5 cable, router, mis-configuration of the NIC, etc, etc.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.