Network Connection Problem

I connect to the Internet through a SMC modem/router that has 4 Ethernet ports. I have a network with a domain controller (windows 200 server) and five PCs. Three of the PCs conect via a hub.The server and the two other PCs are connect to the router.

port 1 - Server port 2 - PC port 3 - HUB - 3 PCs port 4 - PC*

After the weekend the one PC will not get an IP address from the network unless I disconnect from the router and go directly into the hub with the same cable, then all is OK.

The router was replaced and the exact same problem exists. HELP Gary

Reply to
gary
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Sounds like a DHCP configuration problem in the router, or a DHCP client issue in the PC. As a temporary fix, try manually configuring the PC for a non-conflicting static address.

Reply to
John Navas

That's amusing. We had a long thread some time back where I suggested the same and you were adamant that my suggestion (the above) was not a proper support fix.

Google is your friend.

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

The key word there is "temporary". ( Did you miss that in your haste to respond? ;) To be clear, I meant that as troubleshooting only, to rule out other possible causes. I do lots of thing when troubleshooting that I would never dream of deploying in production. If that fixes the problem, then it's been isolated to DHCP, which should then be corrected and restored. Instead of being left as a fixed address, as you advocated.

It is indeed.

Reply to
John Navas

As I said, go back and Google because that's what I suggested at the time.

Yep, as suggested by me.

It wasn't you must have been using the wrong reading glasses perhaps?

:) (My work is done here)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

The record speaks for itself.

Not really. But nice to see that you've come around.

Sorry, David, but no cigar.

Mine too.

Reply to
John Navas

Ammended post 4 hours later:

I put a hub in port 4 and connected the PC to the second hub and it worked well. This workaround is perplexing. Why woud this gateway drop a connection unless it is hooked to a hub? It worked well for years connected directly to the modem/router. ???????????? Any thoughts on this would really be appreciated. Gary

Reply to
gary

Possible defective connector that gives intermittent results.

Reply to
John Navas

working fine. Things that make you go...........hmmmm.

Reply to
gary

On 6 Jun 2006 18:27:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@porterpcs.com wrote in :

working fine.

The defective connector could be in the router.

Reply to
John Navas

It does, I said (among plenty of other troubleshooting) during this thread

formatting link
"Each of which takes far longer than the 30 seconds to just TRY note the key word here TRY bunging in an IP address, he has done that, we moved on, it seems like it was his bluetooth dongle. "

Which is what you dismissed at the time as poor troubleshooting yet you've now suggested exactly the same.

Too funny! :D

Quit spinning, you'll get dizzy.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:20:09 GMT, David Taylor wrote in :

Indeed. As I wrote, selective quotation notwithstanding, the record speaks for itself.

I suggest you take your own advice.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.